Carbon Fiber Seatpost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ordered my new bike, (custom) will be arriving in 1-2 weeks. It has a Bontrager Carbon Fiber seat post and to all experienced cyclists/experts is Carbon Fiber a decent material for a seat post, In comparison to alloy or aluminum I mean? By decent material I mean, will It last as long as alloy or aluminum or perhaps steel, I.e been able to take strain and tension and people's weight. Thanks.

how do you feel about carbon forks..?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Hmm that makes sense. Is carbon fiber more durable as forks/seat post than aluminum or alloy?

I am surprised that you have only got one side of the argument so far. It depends on what you mean by durable. Carbon components require special and particular attention. Some might find some of the views here extreme, but I think few can argue that the links to Trek and Specialized e.g. are not essential reading for users who have carbon components yet never been briefed about carbon care before.

A lof of the material on that web site is nothing more than alarmist nonsense from people who would rather ride steel bikes. Also interesting that Trek's and Specialized's advice on carbon steerer tubes appears to be conflicting - Trek advises fitting a spacer above the stem, while Specialized says that if you do this, the universe will implode....

martint235

Dog on a bike
I have managed to break a carbon seatpost, never managed to break carbon forks though. I now use an alloy seatpost on all my bikes.

Top Bottom