Carbon Fibre...has it made bikes more beautiful or uglier?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Chris James said:
Having said all that, oversized tubes and A head stems look ugly to me (but my most recent bike has both)

Yep those stems have none of the elegance of a traditional quill stem. All those bolts and bits - look like a physicist has designed it for a quick experiment rather than a proper designer.

How about the brutishness of many full-suss MTB designs ?

They've clearly been designed to be aggressive rather than elegant.

U

User482

I think that thin tube steel frames have a timeless elegance, whereas the appearance of CF or aluminium will be manipulated from year to year to suit current fads. I'm far from convinced that there are proper engineering reasons for the myriad of frame shapes that appear in each new model line up.

I have a full suspension Giant mtb that is in every respect superior to the 15 year old Breezer steel mtb I have, but in looks there's no comparison.

Disgruntled Goat said:
All a question of taste innit. I think my lugged, narrow gague-aluminium tubed-Alan is the most beautiful thing. But I also like the Orbea Orca.

Those Alans really were beautiful. Stop riding it when it starts creaking though! They were considered to be 'one season' bikes in their day.

Park a 1986 Ferrari 412 next to a Lamborgini Gallardo next to a Fiat 8V next to a C type and I wouldnt be able to tell you which was the most beautiful.

Same thing with my 1937 Hetchins, Schwinn Black Phantom and my Vertex SC. Theyre all gorgeous.

Times change, technology moves on and carbon fibre has allowed designers to use forms previously thought impossible. The existence of new gorgeous things doesnt make old beautiful things ugly.

v2.jpg

not as beautiful as an Alan Carbonio, but a better ride - with 30,000 miles on the clock

stevenb

I think it depends on the bikes frame geometry and finishing kit...how it compliments the bikes frame.
My bikes carbon tubes aren't pretty close up....but thats because it's unidirectional carbon fibre and all the lines show up.
However functionality is nicer for me.
I think the Felt F2 (American market version) is very very tasty indeed.:angry:

mr Mag00

rising member
it has taken me a long time to get used to larger tubes, but now i like thelook of CF and I think generally deeper section tube looks good. I think if a Co can put some style in to a design then why not. the cycling clothes ar fahionable then why not the frame etc

stevenb

Also Carbon is the modern technology.....
They'll always be classy well made steel, alloy and titanium frames but IMO CF frames are developed through science more than the others with the benefits of its technology as the attraction.

Some bikes look better with paint carbon frames...some dont.:angry:

buggi

Bird Saviour
i love the pinarello onda forks. i think it's what makes the look of the bike. but i love the shape of the cervelo solist team and the anodised finish on it.

ultimately, i like my bike painted in a classy design and it can seriously swing my opinion on a bike if it's got a naff paint job. everyone keeps telling me to buy a focus cayo, but i'm just not sure about that bare carbon look.

stevenb

Cayos are good bikes for the money....as are the other bikes in Focus's range.
I was going to bu the Izalco Team 2008....but its not a looker....I dont think....anyhow...my choice was based on fitment and my BMC was made to fit me. I think your Cervelo kitted up to your spec would be the better choice Buggi. :angry:

buggi

Bird Saviour
stevenb said:
Cayos are good bikes for the money....as are the other bikes in Focus's range.
I was going to bu the Izalco Team 2008....but its not a looker....I dont think....anyhow...my choice was based on fitment and my BMC was made to fit me. I think your Cervelo kitted up to your spec would be the better choice Buggi. :angry:

O you've gone and done it now haven't you. i'm back on that one again!

Top Bottom