Carbon Fork damaged by rubbing wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EmmanRN

Can I still safely use my fork with this? Just saw it today after my 50km ride.

Attachments

• 20210619_114124.jpg
    20210619_114124.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 104
That looks like a cut through the carbon with the black in the middle looking like a hole. I’d say if that is the case then no it’s done for.

If it is just where the paint has been rubbed away and exposed the carbon behind then some protection such as nail varnish should be ok but keep an eye out for any carbon weaving coming undone, if in doubt bin it.

OP
OP
E

EmmanRN

That looks like a cut through the carbon with the black in the middle looking like a hole. I’d say if that is the case then no it’s done for.

If it is just where the paint has been rubbed away and exposed the carbon behind then some protection such as nail varnish should be ok but keep an eye out for any carbon weaving coming undone, if in doubt bin it.
There's no hole at the moment. You're right its more of the paint being rubbed and exposing the carbon. No carbon weaving yet. But yes, im not confident using it now. Dammnnn.

Big John

Guru
Ultimately the decision has to be yours so see what advice you get and then make your own mind up. That said, I had a crack in the carbon in the seat tube of the frame, where the seat post goes in. This was the aftermath of a tumble. I managed to source a carbon fibre repair kit off the net, basically carbon fibre matting and some resin, which I cobbled together around the crack. Not exactly invisible mending, as my wife said. That was more years ago than I can remember and the 'repair' is still going strong. Not pretty (ugly in fact) but saved me the price of a new frame. That mark on your fork doesn't appear anywhere near as bad as the crack I had on my seat tube but there's a lot more going on with a set of forks than where I had that crack. Saying that, I had all my weight on the seat post and that could have ended badly but I did make sure I'd made a significant bond around the affected area.

It's entirely your call. If it was me I'd consider a fix but that's me and we're all different when it comes to our propensity to risk.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Take a closer look and give the area a good clean. Flashes on cameras can make it look worse - ie. there is a dark section which looks deeper, but may be shadow. Carbon tubes aren't super thin, especially there. Blob some paint in the scratch and keep an eye on it. I think it's a deep scratch in the laquer/black paint.

OP
OP
E

EmmanRN

Ultimately the decision has to be yours so see what advice you get and then make your own mind up. That said, I had a crack in the carbon in the seat tube of the frame, where the seat post goes in. This was the aftermath of a tumble. I managed to source a carbon fibre repair kit off the net, basically carbon fibre matting and some resin, which I cobbled together around the crack. Not exactly invisible mending, as my wife said. That was more years ago than I can remember and the 'repair' is still going strong. Not pretty (ugly in fact) but saved me the price of a new frame. That mark on your fork doesn't appear anywhere near as bad as the crack I had on my seat tube but there's a lot more going on with a set of forks than where I had that crack. Saying that, I had all my weight on the seat post and that could have ended badly but I did make sure I'd made a significant bond around the affected area.

It's entirely your call. If it was me I'd consider a fix but that's me and we're all different when it comes to our propensity to risk.
Im with you here. To be sure ill bring it to a LBS for a second opinion. Ill always bet on safety. Appreciate you men.

OP
OP
E

EmmanRN

Take a closer look and give the area a good clean. Flashes on cameras can make it look worse - ie. there is a dark section which looks deeper, but may be shadow. Carbon tubes aren't super thin, especially there. Blob some paint in the scratch and keep an eye on it. I think it's a deep scratch in the laquer/black paint.
That's what im seeing more of the thick paint. But im no expert. Ill have it checked LBS.

OP
OP
E

EmmanRN

That's a weird one. Looks less like a run than a scratch ? Any idea how it happened ?
Im using 25c wheels. No run nor scratches on the rims. I did notice before my ride that my wheels a lil bit off left, still enough clearance though.

D

Deleted member 1258

Have you had mudguards on it at some point?The more I look at it the more it looks like mudguard damage. I had that on my Pearson and just painted it with nail polish and kept an eye on it

Top Bottom