Carbon fork = harshness?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Whatever this legendry "Road buzz" is, I've never experienced it on any bike, whether steel, alloy or carbon. The quality of the tyres and tubes and the pressures you run dictate 90% of the ride quality, no matter what the frame material.

Which is why I never bought inner tubes from Wilkinsons or the pound shop.

Been reducing tyre pressures and now down to 60/70psi F/R and this seems a sweet spot, not feeling stodgy, come with bumps well and notably better on the handlebar vibes.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
UPDATE:
For completeness:

https://spacycles.co.uk/m21b0s29p2625/SPA-CYCLES-Carbon-Alloy-Audax-Road-Fork
https://spacycles.co.uk/m21b0s29p3677/SPA-CYCLES-Steel-Road-Fork

So from their 2 test bikes one with each fork, they say that the Carbon is better/smoother and as a result that's what they end-up fitting to the majority of their Audax bikes.
Carbon forks are cheap too, try buying a set of 531 or Reynolds R blade forks with a 1 1/8th steerer or having a pair made (as they are generally not off the shelf) these days and they cost a few hundred quid and a bit.
The 350g weight saving is a bonus....
It's a punt I can afford as I can re-purpose one of the forks elsewhere.

Once done - I can add to the large body of anecdata....

UPDATE!

Fitted the Spa Carbon Fork - the difference over the 853 original is notable immediately!
Just pushing the bike along by the saddle it feels more 'springy', riding it is a revelation - much smoother, less vibes through the bars, less overall rod shock even at 70/80psi pressures. Before it felt a bit 'dead' to ride, now it feels altogether a bit more lively.
It weighs 250g less too!
£120 well spent.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
UPDATE:

UPDATE!

Fitted the Spa Carbon Fork - the difference over the 853 original is notable immediately!
Just pushing the bike along by the saddle it feels more 'springy', riding it is a revelation - much smoother, less vibes through the bars, less overall rod shock even at 70/80psi pressures. Before it felt a bit 'dead' to ride, now it feels altogether a bit more lively.
It weighs 250g less too!
£120 well spent.

Sounds like your really pleased with it and very interesting for me to hear a comparison between the two forks. My Audax mono has a carbon fork.

Top Bottom