Carbon fork shelf life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Batmancaver

I was wondering whether there is any sort of 'shelf life' for carbon forks at all.

In 2003 I had a car pull out on me whilst I was on my Claud Butler Milano and I hit it very hard, thankfully I was not injured at all. However, I took no chances and insisted that the carbon forks were replaced. In the process of sourcing new forks I got sent a free pair by CB but in the end I treated myself to a pair of ITM Millenium(?) carbon forks.

Whilst cleaning the winter crud of my bike the other day I noticed that there are a few scratches and possible stress cracks in the forks so I want to replace them. When I've taken the forks off there is also a worn section on the steerer tube - how I don't know.

What I am wondering is whether the free fork I received is safe to be used. They have been stored wrapped in a plastic bag in a dry cellar for a bit and then inside dry a shed.

Is there a lifespan to carbon or not?

Thanks for any advice,

Karl

The ctc advice is twice the guarantee; some carbon bikes come wit a lifetime guarantee! Twice a lifetime sounds fine by me I think you'll be OK too ;-)

Carbon doesn't really deteriorate over time - I have a Zipp 400 wheel that was made in 1991 and it is still in a perfectly usable condition. However if there are alloy components such as the drop outs and steerer you should check the joins for signs of bubbling.

Re the wear on the steerer - it's usually on the spot where the compression ring at the top of the headset sits. This could be down to general wear and tear under braking if you have put the miles in - otherwise you might consider a better headset. (If the steerer is alloy then there is no problem but carbon steerers can soon be ruined by this).

Top Bottom