Carbon Forks And Sticky Pad For Computer Sender, Safe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good morning,

I bought a carbon fibre framed bike a few weeks ago and am just about to add a cycle computer.

This computer is not one from a major cycling brand with a logo saying suitable for carbon fibre so I was wondering if the little self adhesive foam pad intended to site between the sender and the fork is safe to use?

With hard bike helmets we were always told never add stickers as over time it softens the shell.

There doesn't seem to be anything on the internet on this so either I am worrying unnecessarily or we are all going to die in a few years. :-(

The nearest that I could find was

The history is that many years ago, during the 1970’s, polycarbonate crash helmets were introduced for motorcycle riders, and some time after this there we some issues with stickers coated with solvent based adhesives causing a weakening of the polycarbonate, reducing the effectiveness of the helmet. SInce this came to light we have stipulated the use of solvent-free, waterbased acrylic adhesives such as our S692N for this type of application. Although waterbased, S692N has excellent water resistance and good resistance to UV light making it ideal for outdoor exposure.

Thanks.

Bye

Ian

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'd say it's probably perfectly safe but if you're worried why not use a zip tie?

Good morning,

Thanks.

I normally use both and it was instinctive to do what I normally do. :smile:

This expedition into modern stuff is tricky (https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/g...enith-pro-carbon-ultegra-di2-10-speed.235754/) ;

I couldn't see why the magnet wouldn't stay put, the wheels have flat spokes and I need to "extend" the spoke guide in the magnet to get it to fit securely!

I am still struggling with the gears as well, the buttons just don't seem intuitive "I have to think dimples are down on the rear and up on the front, or is it the other way round", could I be getting old and senile? :sad:
Bye

Ian

Last edited:
Good afternoon,

It will be fine...... There's far too much worry going on about carbon forks and frames.

I really can't agree with this, putting an epoxy solvent on your front forks really doesn't appear to be a great idea.

A company far away asked to produce a really cheap product may not be aware that someone the other side of the world is going to use it it in way that would not be recommended or even considered.

Bye

Ian

Top Bottom