Carbon forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stuartaw11

Regular
I recently got my new bike which has carbon forks, I get a really odd chattering when riding over small bumps or braking, is this normal? The bike rides great so I don't think it's a problem, it's just feels a bit odd

Keith Oates

Janner
If you're getting 'chatter' when braking it suggests the head set may be slightly loose. It could be that the bike was not set up correctly when you bought it so I suggest taking it back to the LBS and let them check it over.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
S

Stuartaw11

Regular
Thanks for the replys, nothing is Visibly loose on the bike, I think it's just the fact the carbon forks have a bit off flex built into them, the only way I can describe it is that it is like when abs brakes kick in when braking in the car, it's just a bit odd

raindog

er.....
Your forks shouldn't be doing that - sounds a bit dodgy to me. If you don't know how to adjust the bearings, get your LBS to have a look - only takes a few seconds.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Headset. Lift up front and bounce on ground. If it rattles headset needs adjusting. Can also test by applying front brake and rocking back and forward. You will feel it clunk

Broadside

Guru
Hold the front brake on and rock the bike back and forwards which should show play if present. Sometimes however this will show flex in the brake caliper attachment to the forks, so you can also put the steering on full lock and gently rock the bike back and forwards.

I agree that you need to get the bike back to the shop for a checkup.

OP
OP
S

Stuartaw11

Regular
Thanks for the advice, I've just checked the bike over and all above feels fine, I'm off out for a ride now, when I'm back I will try to describe it on more detail, it's deffo not head bearings, my old Mtb has loose bearings and you can feel the movement through the bars. Maybe I'm just feeling more of the road surface than I'm used to, it's the first "proper" bike I've ever owned, who knows eh, well I will update later today unless of course the wheel falls off! Haha wish me luck

Top Bottom