Carbon Frame on the turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadkill

I've been avoiding the rain by using the turbo for a couple of weeks.

My Cervelo RS sits in the office clamped in to the machine and every so often I get a niggle that the strain on the carbon frame could be excessive and ill advised.

Anyone have any evidence either way?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Surely it's only clamped by the rear axle?

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I suppose there may be something in this. The rear axle is held horizontal, but out of the saddle efforts will want to swing the bike side to side. In normal usage, the bike would lean as you swing around, but clamped like this I suppose it can't. I don't know whether the frame is expecting twists like this.

A good carbon frame is probably far more resilient to these forces than a cheap aluminium one though, and I've never heard of anyone damaging a bike with either.

Stay in the saddle, and all should be well.

BigSteev

If you like, I'd be happy to swap your Cervelo for something more resilient. I promise I'd take care of it. ;)

Seamab

I've used my carbon frame (Cannondale) on the turbo for 12 months or so without any problem in and out of the saddle.

I'm not aware of any evidence that there could be a problem.

Young Un

If your going to use a carbon frame on a turbo please use something like a Tacx sirrius which has the one arm design which allows the bike to bounce slightly whilst training. However, even this is not a good idea and ideally you don't want carbon in a turbo at all, use rolers instead, or if you can afford a cervelo get a cheap winter bike, or something off ebay thats the right size - doesn't matter about down tube shifters or out because it can just stay on the trubo. Just my two pence worth's, but i do work in a bike shop.

Steve

Blue

Legendary Member
Seamab said:
I've used my carbon frame (Cannondale) on the turbo for 12 months or so without any problem in and out of the saddle.

I'm not aware of any evidence that there could be a problem.

I'd second this as I've been using a carbon frame on a turbo, in and out of the saddle, for 2 years without problem - just personal experience, rather than expert opinion, though!

OP
OP
Roadkill

Roadkill

Thanks guys

I do have other options but they don't make the pain quite as enjoyable.

I've watched the frame since posting and the lateral movement isn't huge in the saddle but is noticable out. To be fair I'm on it to spin the pedals rather than stamp out from sprints.

So I'm going to stick with it and wear it as a badge of honour if I break it;)

Bill Gates

Blimey. Wouldn't it be an expensive mistake if the frame broke? I'm not an expert on carbon frames but I do know that bike frames are designed so that they deal with the linear stresses caused when riding on the road.

When a bike is clamped into a turbo then there more sidewise and twisting stresses involved, which would not occur on the road....and why would you get out of the saddle on a turbo? That is really going to stress the rear triangle.

It may not have broke yet but what does that prove? Only that IMO you've been lucky up to now.

gavintc

Guru
Roadkill said:
Thanks guys

I do have other options but they don't make the pain quite as enjoyable.

I've watched the frame since posting and the lateral movement isn't huge in the saddle but is noticable out. To be fair I'm on it to spin the pedals rather than stamp out from sprints.

So I'm going to stick with it and wear it as a badge of honour if I break it;)

I have my RS in my turbo. As I only have 2 bikes, it is my commuter a Kinesis TK and the Cervelo RS. Last winter, I found it a complete hassle to get the commuter set up for the turbo so starting using the good bike and leaving it set up on the turbo.

I am always a little nervous. I asked a cycle coach what his opinion was about a carbon frame in a turbo. He reckoned that the pressures from normal road riding were greater and in all the years coaching he had not had a failure.

So, it is in the turbo and I do hour long sessions. I do not do out of saddle explosive sprints, but do push the pressure up in the saddle for bursts. So far so good - bit still a little bit cautious.

Bill Gates

gavintc said:
I have my RS in my turbo. As I only have 2 bikes, it is my commuter a Kinesis TK and the Cervelo RS. Last winter, I found it a complete hassle to get the commuter set up for the turbo so starting using the good bike and leaving it set up on the turbo.

I am always a little nervous. I asked a cycle coach what his opinion was about a carbon frame in a turbo. He reckoned that the pressures from normal road riding were greater and in all the years coaching he had not had a failure.

So, it is in the turbo and I do hour long sessions. I do not do out of saddle explosive sprints, but do push the pressure up in the saddle for bursts. So far so good - bit still a little bit cautious.

What do cycle coaches know about the stresses on a bike frame? Most don't even bother about bespoke training plans but merely hand out the same generic bog standard plan to everyone. Sorry rant over about the cycle coaching industry.

Why not ask the same cycle coach if he will replace your frame if it breaks?:smile:

Bill Gates

gavintc said:

Depends if you are trying hard enough with your interval training on the turbo. Again I think thats's Bollox.

Bill Gates

Bill Gates said:
Depends if you are trying hard enough with your interval training on the turbo. Again I think thats's Bollox.

If you give it some welly on the rollers you will notice that under severe pressure, i.e. intervals - when you start to get it going so before you gather momentum that the rear wheel will oscillate from side to side. On the rollers and on the road the bike is free to be able to do this. Clamped in a turbo it can't so the stresses are redirected through the frame.

Top Bottom