CARBON - Frames - How long...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Steve Austin said:
Can you not see the hefty great crack across the weld? :smile:

Can you not see that the metal either side of the crack is still conected in more or less it's origonal shape, and not shattered into tiny useless bits? :blush::blush:

I'd be as well talking to a labrador wouldn't I?...

02GF74

Über Member
Blue said:
CF has been around for a few years.

Steel frames have bee round since the bicyle was invented, nearly 200 years ago, many of which are still being ridden.

Unless the scaremongers can produce the examples of frames disintegrating while being ridden I would suggest the theories be stuffed where the sun don't shine.

go round forums, ebay and other places on the web and you will find examples of frames failing; in all materials: steel, aluminiun and carbon fibre. I doubt there is one site that lists all of these.

I don't understand how people with zero evidence can expound their ill-founded opinions in such a forthright manner.
CF frames have not been rounbd that long nad hey are not that commmon so naturally people are concerned. the same concerns abounded with aluminium frames when they first came out - there were horror stories of frames breaking but this is rare nowadays due to the development by manufacturers.

DanRVV2006

a friend who works in a bike shop said to me that carbon will last alongggggggggggggggggggggggg time(unless its damged with impact of course) but what causes problem is the glue they use to join them at certain parts can dry up like normal glue, but he said it takes 10 or so years and by then you will probs have a new bike IMO.

Leadlegs

I am currently in the market for a new bike, (crashed and trashed my current one, waiting on the insurance to come through) and just like Bigfatbloke (comment #12) I really like the look of the Bianchi 928 bikes. Researching on the Web finds lots of discussions, some very emotive, but all seem inconclusive and short on hard facts. So what do I do?

I’ve always found it best to go as close to the source as possible for accurate information, so I contacted Bianchi. I had a very interesting and very informative conversation discussing the perceived advantages/disadvantages, longevity and durability of carbon and aluminium frames. I was very satisfied with the answers I received to my questions, and the depth of knowledge and willingness to discuss plusses and minuses by the guy on the other end of the phone.

In summary: carbon surpasses aluminium in every way – except on price. A cared for carbon frame, (and who is going to pay carbon prices and not take care of it?) will last indefinitely. Particularly with the demi-coque construction method used by Bianchi, (no carbon cycle frame can be truly called a monocoque as it is impossible to make it in one piece).

What will compromise the frame’s integrity - anything that inflicts sufficient damage to break through the protective outer layer and cut into the carbon fibres? How many fibres need to be cut before damage is critical – nobody knows? It’s a bit like a multi-stranded rope. Cut a strand and you may well be okay. Cut some more and it will eventually fail. When it actually fails will be determined by use, stresses and the performance of that particular rope.

Bianchi guarantee their frames for five years against the usual faulty material or workmanship.

As for the different failure modes, well that’s a separate issue, but I’m looking forward to riding a new 928 as soon and my collar bone heals.

wafflycat

Flying_Monkey said:
CF frames will be absolutely fine for everything except where you might expect to crash regularly (like non-XC MTB riding).

When Wafflycat Minor was racing, I had no qualms about him being on a carbon fibre time trial bike, with lots of carbon fibre components, but wasn't prepared to cough up for a carbon fibre road race bike or carbon fibre cyclocross bike. I've seen too many crashes in road races and cyclocross...

Enjoy Leadlegs, I've got a 928 and its a great ride hope the bone heals soon. I don't know how accurate they were but I read one recommendation in the CTC mag, that the author would only keep a CF bike twice as long as the guarantee. By that standard the Bianchi should last 10yrs plus.

Top Bottom