Carbon frames...Worth the upgrade?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Hi,

Looking to next year and getting a proper bike that hopefully should last, be enjoyable and be used for commuting up to 20 miles I think I have found my perfect bike, either the Specialized Secteur or Roubiax.

For agruments sake, these are the 2 I will be considering (and as it will be next year I have had to miss the discounts on the 2010 models and used the 2011 prices as they are the bikes I will be looking at getting). I have chosen these specs with the 105 components as I will be looking to keep the bike a good few years, and the cheaper ones with 2300 or sora spec will need replacing after a year or 2, I would rather buy right, buy once rather than upgrade the components.

Sectuer... http://www.evanscycl...025007#features

Roubaix... http://www.evanscycl...d-bike-ec024981

From the specs it seems the main difference is that the sectuer is an aliminium fram, and the roubaix carbon. I understand that carbon is lighter, and gives a smoother ride, bur as both these bikes have the zerts inserts on the forks and rear stays would that help smooth out the aluminium frame?

Also, are there any considerations or differences between in the care, longevity and maintence of aluminium frames?

Bottom line question is...Is the extra £300 for the roubaix worth it?

EDIT: If it makes any difference, Im 6foot and weight abuout 100kg... But thats coming down!

jimboalee

The Roubaix weighs a bag of sugar less than the Secteur.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Paul, when you talk about compenents, bear in mind that some things are, effectively, consumable - you'll be replacing cassette and chain at least, and possibly chainrings during the life of the bike. 105 is ten speed, and that means that chains and cassettes will be slightly less durable and slightly more expensive than 9 speed (e.g. Tiagra). On the plus side, the bits should be nicer & lighter (not ridden 105 though, so can't tell you for sure).

On ride quality - it's possible to build harsh, unforgiving frames out of anything, just as you can build a compliant, comfortable aluminium or crabon frame - ride the bikes and see what you think of them.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I know nothing about either bike but if the difference is mainly frame material, weight (bag of sugar so let's say 500g) and £300, all else being equal I would certainly consider buying the alu bike, sell the CXP-22 wheels+tyres (for say £50) and spend the £350 difference on a much lighter, better set of wheels and tyres. The Shimano WH-R500 are supposed to weigh around 1900g, one will be able to do a lot better than that with £300, getting much lower rolling inertia, and nearly the same total weight as a result. I don't understand why manufacturers consistently only budgeting c10% of a bike's cost on the wheels.

You might also not wanting to worry about carbon's susceptibility to damage since you said you want to get "a proper bike that hopefully should last..."

Just a thought. Obviously there could be many other significant differences between the models.

e-rider

crappy member
I'm not really convinced that carbon is an upgrade.

Yeah, if you spend some serious money it's a fair bit lighter but carbon comes with a whole load of trouble and worries.

I bought a carbon frame last year and ever since I've been worrying about stuff that simply doesn't matter with alu or steel frames.

such as "are they still safe to ride after a crash" "is that scratch so deep that the frame will snap" or "have I done that bolt up too tight"

Who wants to spend £1500 on a bike that is unuasble after one fall?

Apart from disputing that Sora would need replacing more quickly than 105, considering the 9 vs 10 speed robustness debate....

...Wot they said above +1.

(Which one looks better to you?, shallow, but it does make a difference to the way you will treat it.)

zacklaws

Guru
I have a carbon and an aluminium witth carbon forks.

If I ride the aluminium and then the carbon, I do not notice a difference.

But if I ride the carbon and then the aluminium, I notice one hell of a difference, the ride is so hard on the aluminium and you feel like being shook to bits, the carbon frame absorbs all the bumps etc and makes a very smooth ride unless the road is very badly roughened up with poor tarmac with lots missing but its still bettter than the aluminium. After a long ride on the carbon you do not feel so battered. I did read somewhere though that our roads in the UK are in such poor condition that it can be hard at times to appreciate a carbon frame.

But as for performance in speed etc, I do not notice any difference attributable to the frame. But perhaps a top class cyclist would, but not at my level.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Titanium ?
Van Nic Mistral (105 spec) at Fat Birds for £1299
If durability is part of what's driving the choice.....

Garz

Squat Member
Not all alu frames are poor, the CAAD range are touted as high end aluminium and from people that I spoken to that own or have ridden them say they are damn comfortable proving a decent alu frame is akin to a cheap carbon (if not better).

Your alu frame (secteur) is on the cheaper side of the market so as you want this frame to 'last' spend as much as you can on it so you can keep it for longer.

My next purchase is more than likely going to be a Ti frame as I want this to last, so I have to be prepared to splash out initially. My first road bike was £600 (Boardman) so to realistically 'upgrade' to a better bike spending less than £1k is not really much of an upgrade.

As RAFN posted, your better off targetting the decent wheels for long term. Frame and wheels make the most difference so try and focus on these initially if budget permits.

02GF74

Über Member
carbon is not necessarily an upgrade - you can buy pretty decent frames in aluminium alloy.

CF is a bit of fashion thing too.

having said that. my next mtb will be carbon.

Fiona N

Veteran
Although there are carbon frames and carbon frames (and Al frames and Al frames, for that matter), I've belatedly, because I only recently got an Al road bike, found that all those things people have said about carbon being steel-like in it's comfort are true.
I have quite a nice Al frame with carbon seat stays and carbon fork and it makes a good, fast, nippy-feeling bike which is a pleasure for short fast rides into town and about the place but, for a day ride, there's no comparison with respect to comfort and thus overall performance with my carbon road bike.

I don't have any experience of the Secteur but had a Specialized carbon road bike previously (sadly sold when I thought I wasn't going to be able to ride uprights any more due to back problems) and it was a pleasure to ride in the Alps where it was my regular mount for Gran Fondos and Alpine Brevets in Italy and Switzerland.

So I would make the decision based on the sort of riding you want to do - shorter, fast, not bothered about comfort levels - save your money for better wheels on the Secteur. Long, possibly hilly, rides - go with the greater comfort of the Roubaix.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
So I would make the decision based on the sort of riding you want to do - shorter, fast, not bothered about comfort levels - save your money for better wheels on the Secteur. Long, possibly hilly, rides - go with the greater comfort of the Roubaix.

I have both a Secteur Elite (for my commute) and a Roubaix Elite (for longer distance & other).

gallery_1435_53_10775.jpg

What Fiona has said above is 100% spot on.
Both bikes are based on the same geometry, but the comfort levels between the two is chalk and cheese.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I have both a Secteur Elite (for my commute) and a Roubaix Elite (for longer distance & other).

gallery_1435_53_10775.jpg

What Fiona has said above is 100% spot on.
Both bikes are based on the same geometry, but the comfort levels between the two is chalk and cheese.
there you have it - the expert view. And, speaking as one who has crashed carbon frames quite a few times - don't let Tundragumski's post worry you. These things are built to last.

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Many thanks to all of you that took the time to reply!

Seems like I will have to find some more cash and go for the Roubaix, because although I could use the Secteur for what I do no I do plan to up the milage next year and when possible us it for commuting to an from work (probably up to 20 miles each way a few times a week) and the sound of a smooth ride is certinly apealing!

Many thanks agian!!!

Top Bottom