Carbon High Racer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickM

Veteran
Trikes are terrific fun downhill - they will always drop bikes on twisty descents, because you don't worry about falling over or leaving the ground on a bump. They are slower in other circumstances, but not by all that much - the extra weight and rolling resistance are somewhat compensated by the very low seat height (and thus improved aerodynamics). A Catrike 700 might suit you - Ian Fardoe, BHPC publicity man, rides one and comes to most of our race meetings.

You say that speed is a main concern, but I bet fun matters just as much... the thing is, riding a recumbent is very different, even if it is still cycling. When you are enjoying yourself so much, performance numbers and comparison with other bikes seem to assume much less significance. Hence the well-known phrase or saying "recumbent grin" - like this: ;)

OP
OP
D

dodgy

I've just come off the phone to Ian at trikesandstuff.co.uk and we've come to the conclusion that either a Catrike Speed or Catrike 700 will be a good match for me. I must admit, the styling is spot on (IMHO) and I reckon I'm sold on a trike rather than a 2 wheeler.

Just need to figure out how to pay for it!

Dave.

NickM

Veteran
dodgy said:
...we've come to the conclusion that either a Catrike Speed or Catrike 700 will be a good match for me...
What have I done? :biggrin: :eek:

MsM is seriously considering a Catrike Pocket - perhaps I should apply to Ian Buck for a commission!

And when you have acquired your trike (or whatever), or even before, you might want to consider joining the British Human Power Club* and meeting all the other nutcases open-minded funhogs :tongue:

*I'm the membership secretary, in case you hadn't guessed!

OP
OP
D

dodgy

One of the details I've spent the best part of 2 hours pouring over is gearing. The Catrike Speed has 20" wheels, hence I might run out of gears when going for it on the flat/downhill. The Expedition has a 26" wheel and the 700 (arguably the fastest) has 700c rear (drive) wheel. Given that some of my rides in North Wales will see me encountering some fairly steep climbs, am I best going for a Speed with Schlumpf (an extra £300!) high speed drive kit?
If it helps, on my DF bike I average around 18mph on rolling countryside when I'm in good shape. I think I'd rather have hill climbing ability at the risk of spinning out at 35mph ish.

Thoughts?

Dave.

Dodgy - you have PM

Apart from that - Trikes are really BAD NEWS!

They are the sort of machines that cannot be ridden without a certain "naughtiness" and a childish streak!

They are solid, reliable and stable machines that enable fast riding with safety due to the braking and steering being so accurate and predictable.

I don't mean boringly predictable, just enough to promote an exciting ride.

I rode a Street Machine, a Hurricane and a Linear - but the Catrike will always be the favourite!

Chains are not a problem as wear seems to be less than on a short chained upright. Eqqually fitness is fitness. The muscle groups are different, but I also ride a Brompton, and a Thorn Nomad tourer (trikes don't go on trains) and the basic fitness is transferrable.

Johnny Thin

dodgy said:
Thanks all, and taking on board Andy's comments, if I become a regular user of a 'bent, is it possible that the form I obtain whilst riding it will not be transferrable to my standard DF (which I will keep) and my MTB? I don't like the idea of 100+ rides on the 'bent not contributing to my muscle strength on different bikes - though obviously my general fitness will still benefit in terms of heart/lungs etc. In essence, are the muscle groups used that different? Will I struggle to complete ITRO 100 miles on my first ride (given that I can already ride that distance comfortably now).

Cheers,
Dave.

A few comments from my own experience:-

I don't do any rides slower on my bent than I did on my upright - though the very hilliest AAA audax ones are about the same.

I still ride uprights and can get up hills on them but I find it irritating as you don't use the whole of your muscle groups

There is one very hilly section of an audax which I have ridden many times as it's local - from Bewdley to Cleehill. I've done it 3x on upright and been bonking or on the verge of bonking every time. I've done it several times on 'bent and have never needed more than 5 mins' rest and a couple of swigs of water to carry on back home.

The week after I got my first bent, 3 years ago, I followed the routesheet of an audax which went from Shrewsbury round to Wales and Lake Verny. I was absolutely knackered, esp by one section before Verny, and blamed it on being new to bents. However last Saturday I did the same audax and was bonking on the same section, didn't stop for a 30-min rest this time but the same effect; though I wasn't as tired overall at the end of it.

I wouldn't dream of riding anything but a bent for 100 miles but you can see from my comments that they're capable of any terrain, and generally far less tiring.

NickM

Veteran
dodgy said:
...am I best going for a Speed with Schlumpf (an extra £300!) high speed drive kit?
I think that I would want to ride the trike for a while in standard spec first, and see whether the extra complication/expense was really warranted.

50/40/26 with 11-32 on 700Cs gives you a range from 21" to 120", which might be plenty.

mcd

Just back from riding my carbon high racer in the Etape Caledonia sportif at the weekend. It was a lot of fun. Here's a quick review of what I think makes it a good bike:
'carbon' - while its not as light as claimed, this made it easier on the big climb - a paparazzi pic of me nonchalantly nearing the top of a hill in the big ring.
'high' made it easier to speak with riders on uprights and make the most of drafting behind them. Also means I don't have the hassle of funny wheel sizes. Not only does having 700c wheels give a huge choice, by sacrificing some of the greater comfort of the recumbent I can use a faster pair of wheels - ones that would have been too harsh on an upright.
'racer' - the aerodynamics of the position was comparable with a really flat tuck on an upright (stomach on saddle, chin on the stem, elbows and knees tucked in). But I had this benefit for the entire ride (not just on free-wheeling descents) and did I not have to adopt a less aerodynamic position to get power to the pedals.

Maybe not as fast as a low racer, but a bike well suited to roads over hilly terrain and riding with upright bikes.

dodgy - I see you've gone for a Cattrike Speedy - not one I've tried - but it's a recumbent, so you're going to have some fun! Enjoy.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

mcd said:
dodgy - I see you've gone for a Cattrike Speedy - not one I've tried - but it's a recumbent, so you're going to have some fun! Enjoy.

Actually a Windcheetah 'Speedy' ;)

Dave.

mcd

Maybe it was getting the tubs topped up with by the Mavic support team that kept them away. Whatever the reason, I'm sure its building up an over-confidence in tubs that will be my downfall when they do decide to make a visit!!

Top Bottom