Carbon or hydraulic forks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
Looking at this bikehttps://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOORRSX/on-one-rocky-road-sram-sx-titanium-adventure-bike
It has carbon forks, how much suspension dampening would these give, compared to the usual hydraulic ones?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
significantly less than a mountain bike, the suspension is the give of the fat tyres. - that's a bike packing / adventure bike for loading up and camping / overnighting.

what do you want the bike for? blasting around bike parks and dropping of jumps or exploring the great outdoors?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Zero, but the tyres if pressures are lowered will give you all the comfort you need.
Be aware they will offer significantly more resistance on the tarmac than road bike tyre.

Before pressing the button be sure to read the current thread “2nd titanium frame failure ”. :whistle:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Baldy

Baldy

Über Member
Very much exploring the great outdoors to old for dropping off jumps. The mountain bike I have is quite old and heavy nearly 17kg. I'm looking for something lighter and was just wondering why the carbon forks. Not had anything to do with carbon fibre bikes before. That bike is a little more than I want to pay anyway.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Mountain bikes?
It's quite an odd model isn't it? Maybe it's an attempt to bridge the gap between adventure bikes and mountain bikes?
Not a bad idea as a suspension fork is very weighty and the cheaper ones don't do much, better to put money into the rest of the bike and save a chunk of weight than to have a fork which doesn't really add much, particularly to those who are contending with soft, muddy and moderate terrain rather than jumps and chunky rocks.
The fork looks quite beefy so should stand a fair bit of abuse.
Looks like a good idea to me.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Very much exploring the great outdoors to old for dropping off jumps. The mountain bike I have is quite old and heavy nearly 17kg. I'm looking for something lighter and was just wondering why the carbon forks. Not had anything to do with carbon fibre bikes before. That bike is a little more than I want to pay anyway.
Why not dump the heavy suspension forks from your current MTB then, and replace with a carbon fork?
That is what I did with my 2007 (ish) Trek 6500 hard tail. The difference in weight is quite noticeable, and I still use it for some quite rough off road surfaces, like Land Rover and forestry tracks. The fork came from CarbonCycles.cc.. Here it is:

Top Bottom