Carbon Rim Brake wheels to disc brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi. Looking for advice. I have recently purchased a Gravel Bike with Disc brakes. the current wheels are 650B with chunky WTB tyres. This bike is my main bike now for cycling, commuting, leisure etc.

I have my old road bike that I splashed out on a Carbon wheel set, just over a year ago. The bike is gathering dust and if I am honest, I probably will not ride much anymore.

I would like to make use of the carbon wheels (Prime RR-50 SE), preferably with road tyres, as an alternate set for the gravel bike. Would there be any issue with re-lacing the rims with disk brake type hubs? I would also need there 12mm bolt through. Local Bike shop were a bit vague when I questioned them.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
TBH it is a lot of faffing around and will likely need new spokes (disc hubs require different amounts of dish) as well as suitable hubs, which adds to the expense. By the time you have bought the materials and paid the labour costs I would think it might be better just to sell your existing wheels and buy a set that are built for your gravel bike from the outset.
If you are not going to use the old bike you might as well sell it complete as you definitely won't be able to ride it once you have canabilised it's wheels.

Being one that doesn't care about other people's cost, I'll that it is of course possible.

However, how many spokes do those carbon wheels have?

It isn't easy to find hubs with low spoke counts, and neigh impossible to find them with uneven number spoke counts.

Edit: I had a look online. Your wheels have 20 and 24 spokes. Forget it. Sell them. 20-spoke front wheels with disc brakes are not a good idea at all, nevermind hub availability.

OP
OP
Hugh Jampton
Thanks Skol. You have pretty much answered as the LBS guys did. Only more straightforward.

The Road bike has already been cannibalised for Carbon bits for the Gravel and to upgrade some bits on the wife's bike. Pretty much just wheels and a frame.

YS, I didn't consider that. You are correct and no chance of matching the Hope Hubs currently on the Gravel to this. They are not available down to 20 spokes.

Thanks Guys. look out for a set of Carbon Wheels for sale on here soon!

Top Bottom