carbon seatpost creaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zzpza

i have a carbon fibre frame and seat post. i assembled it dry, but it creaks. i've done the clamp up as tight as i dare. this is my first carbon frame. should i grease the post? i'm reticent to do it in case it just makes the post slip all the time...

It is the seat clamp. Take it all off, clean and them put back together clamping it tight.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The carbon seat post I bought recently had a label on it which DO NOT GREASE in big bold letters, so at a guess I would say it is not a good idea...

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Dave5N said:
Yes. Don't use grease. It swells the carbon matrix and can cause it to delaminate.
I didn't know that - thanks. Do you know if lubricants will damage the frame - I'm thinking of sprays on the chain and so on...?

NickM

Veteran
Gerry Attrick said:
Use Tacx carbon assembly paste or similar. It has a kind of adhesive action which sorts these problems. You can also use less torque on the clamp.
Seconded. This stuff works really well - on slipping alloy seatpins, too. It's not actually an adhesive, but contains tiny balls which squash when you tighten the clamp and hold everything in place.

It works a lot better than the previous remedy of using maximum hold hairspray, anyway!

dellzeqq said:
I didn't know that - thanks. Do you know if lubricants will damage the frame - I'm thinking of sprays on the chain and so on...?

I there is any prolonged contact it will work its way into the carbon but if there is any scratches the time it takes is a Lot less. So chain lube is fine as long as you keep it clean.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Last time I had any carbon creaking I ended up waving my handlebars about when my steerer snapped. Give it a thorough check over either way.

Top Bottom