Carbon steerer extension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briank

Having put together another bike (mainly from bits off eBay) I find the bars a little low, and since the steerer has been cut down to suit the previous owner I can't simply put in some more spacers below the stem. I suppose I could maybe use a different stem but was wondering about replacing the forks - probably with the same kind, Reynolds Ouzo Pro. However, the Reynolds website says that the maximum "stack height" for 1 1/8 steerers is 1 1/2 inches. That phrase used to apply to threaded headsets, but the wording of the website suggests that Reynolds are using it to mean the total amount of steerer tube that projects above the upper head bearing - including the part gripped by the stem. But the stem itself is 1 1/4 inches deep and I see lots of bikes with the stem spaced an inch or more above the top bearing.
Has anyone info on this?
Thanks.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I think what they mean is the depth of spacers you can use below the stem. Any more than that and you risk breaking the steerer.

OP
OP
B

briank

Well that's what I thought, Joe, but they do say,"Slide the compression ring, spacers and stem onto the steerer tube. Do not exceed a maximum stack height of 1" on 1" diameter fork or 1 1/2" on 1 1/8" fork."
So given what "stack height" used to mean, I'm wondering if we're all riding around in imminent danger of steerer failure!!!!

OP
OP
B

briank

Well in THAT case Joe is mistaken and lots of us ARE riding around with stems clamped so far from the headset that the steerer is likey to snap off/shatter!
Are we bovvered?

Top Bottom