Carbon steerer tube plug

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Cano

Hi all,
I need a steerer expander plug for my road bike build. I've been told that the star nut is a huge no. And with so many plugs on the market but very little reviews, I'm wondering which is best.
Thanks Tony

Citius

They all do the same job - there isn't really a 'best' one...

Think they are all much of a muchness,my Planet X has a Planet X one and the Ridley Helium a 4ZA(i.e. Ridley) one,they both seem to do the job despite being slightly different designs;most important thing is to make sure it's fitted correctly,my LBS recommended I left enough steerer to fit a spacer on top of the stem to give it some strength.Some people just cut it above the stem though(pro bikes seem to be like that).

lpretro1

Star nut absolute non-no quite right. There are different sizes depending upon the thickness of your carbon steerer. Agree with Elybazza that it is best to have a spacer on top of the stem

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Think they are all much of a muchness,my Planet X has a Planet X one and the Ridley Helium a 4ZA(i.e. Ridley) one,they both seem to do the job despite being slightly different designs;most important thing is to make sure it's fitted correctly,my LBS recommended I left enough steerer to fit a spacer on top of the stem to give it some strength.Some people just cut it above the stem though(pro bikes seem to be like that).
One bung is as good as another.

One tip. Fitting a bung is slightly different to fitting a star nut, where you hammer the nut in and then just screw the top cap into it to torque the headset. When you fit a bung inside the steerer you have turn the hex socket at the top of the bung (And it isn't obvious at a casual glance) to expand it so that it grips inside the steerer before you fit the stem and the top cap. Some people think that by tightening the top cap the bung will expand and grip but it doesn't, then they spend a week constantly re-torqueing the top cap and wondering why there is play in the headset before they either twig or are told.

DO NOT ASK ME HOW I KNOW THAT.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

Citius

Which means my "One bung is as good as another" statement wasn't quite correct as the short bungs you can get won't do that.

I think they are all pretty much the same length - they need to be...

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I think they are all pretty much the same length - they need to be...
No ... there are quite short ones and longer ones. Try Googling 'carbon steerer bung'. The shorter ones concentrate the pressure over a shorter length of the steerer tube and are more likely to cause the steerer to bulge if over tightened, and offer less area of support for the stem if not well placed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom