carbon vs alloy wheels rim brake clincher

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
something putting me off is the reviews saying 25 mm tyres are hard to fit on the prime wheels ? not sure i can for wider on the intended bike

My Prime wheels are alloy version but 25mm are easy to fit, including right in the middle of chemotherapy when I had no finger nerves and the hands were extremely weak. And these were tubeless Continental 5000. If folks are saying otherwise they're not fitting tyres right.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
something putting me off is the reviews saying 25 mm tyres are hard to fit on the prime wheels ? not sure i can for wider on the intended bike

The prime carbon rims are all 27.5mm external width, so ideally want to be paired with 28mm tyres....

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Had a set of deep section zipp carbon rim brake wheels. Descending in the wet was "interesting" to say the least.

Current bike is disk brake, and I have no problems, modern rim profiles massively reduce the effects of cross winds on deep rims.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My Prime wheels are alloy version but 25mm are easy to fit, including right in the middle of chemotherapy when I had no finger nerves and the hands were extremely weak. And these were tubeless Continental 5000. If folks are saying otherwise they're not fitting tyres right.

the prime alloy wheels are 19 internal , i think the carbons are 23 .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What about some wheels built up on something like Ultegra hubs ? Or even Formula. Nothing wrong with their hubs, despite cheap, they are re-buildable with new bearings.

Velochris

Über Member
The hubs used by DCR are Bitex as I recall. It is these (alongside the spoke choice) that tend to make the wheel set fairly light.

I have a had a few sets of these hubs over the years, but none at the moment.

The front does have small bearings. I never wore them out but as I recall they would have been fairly easy to replace. Mine ran nice and smooth in fairness. The hubs shells themselves did though feels just slightly cheap, but that is subjective.

Rear hubs were similar but I did get an occasional cracking noise, which I put down to maybe the pawl.slipping on pick up.

Currently own the Kinlin 22mm rims and find them fine. Nice and straight to build with.

They do a 30mm version as well and I think it is what Hunt use in their aero alloy set or something.

I think if you went alloy you may always be wondering "what if I'd have got the carbon Prime ones" (said as somebody who has never run carbon rim brake wheels).

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As the prime wheels are wide rimes designed for 28 minimum much as I want them I think they are not a viable choice in a 8 year old frame design

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My current wheels are from DCR. You can choose what hubs they use when you order them (from the ones they offer, obvs). They are fine, I've had them for a few years and they are still round and no spokes have broken. They are wheels, I don't have much else to say about them.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@Fab Foodie had some dcr wheels according to a google search , any information regarding longevity etc fabs ?

True! Well remembered!
No issues to date (though due to spinal issues not ridden for 12 months), but up until then they took a pounding with my 15 stone over badly surfaced roads and are as true as the day I got them (perfectly).
I had 23mm H plus Son Archetypes on large flange Velo-Orange hubs and also a SON Dynohub. Spokes were not the lightest available but I opted for durability over weight.

DCR were easy to deal with and I went back to them for similar for my fixed-wheel.

Recommended.

Top Bottom