carbon wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

naffets

Been on the hunt for some carbon hoops on a budget around the £600-700 mark to replace my mavic ksyrium sl,s
you can find them but are all around the 2kg per pair apart from planet x .
They only build up in shimano and i am running campag
so what got me thinking is whether i could buy rims from them source hubs and spokes
and pay someone to build them up and would that be cost effective ?
Thoughts welcome or are there any bargains out there

adscrim

Veteran
Been on the hunt for some carbon hoops on a budget around the £600-700 mark to replace my mavic ksyrium sl,s
you can find them but are all around the 2kg per pair apart from planet x .
They only build up in shimano and i am running campag
so what got me thinking is whether i could buy rims from them source hubs and spokes
and pay someone to build them up and would that be cost effective ?
Thoughts welcome or are there any bargains out there

Ta da! Do they need to be carbon? Strada do a 42mm alloy wheelset that comes in at under 1.6kg.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Ta da! Do they need to be carbon? Strada do a 42mm alloy wheelset that comes in at under 1.6kg.

Dont know anything about strada or their hubs, so correct me if I am wrong but those alloy wheels look to be over priced.

You most likely can get those alloy wheels much cheaper than ~£500. You could have them on Dura-ace hubs for £500. The rims sell for about £60 a pop.

adscrim

Veteran
Dont know anything about strada or their hubs, so correct me if I am wrong but those alloy wheels look to be over priced.

You most likely can get those alloy wheels much cheaper than ~£500. You could have them on Dura-ace hubs for £500. The rims sell for about £60 a pop.

I doubt that you could get handbuilt wheels weighing less that 1.6kg with an aero profile for much less than £500. I've heard nothing but good things about Strada. And if they are more expensive that the sum of their parts, is that not to be expected in a good quality handbuild?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I doubt that you could get handbuilt wheels weighing less that 1.6kg with an aero profile for much less than £500. I've heard nothing but good things about Strada. And if they are more expensive that the sum of their parts, is that not to be expected in a good quality handbuild?

Fair point, happy to be corrected, like I said I have no idea re. Strada.

I was figuring in about £30-50 per wheel for build in the costing as per the local lbs which has a very good rep for wheel buiding (although admittedly I may have misfigured some of the parts required).

Just a point to note, the op's current wheels are already weighing less than 1600g on paper (assuming my google search took me to the right product), so weight doesnt appear to be primary concern as long as they dont exceed 2kg.

Will1985

Über Member
While the Planet X wheels are sold as Shimano, you can ask them to change to a Campag freehub for a small charge....email them!

Other alternatives are Wheelsmith for a British built set of 50mm rims (Gigantex); Fuerte Bici (similar rims); or Carbonzone on ebay - I know some people who received some good wheels fairly quickly and decent quality. They all come from the same handful of factories in China.

Why the change to tubs? (Carbon clinchers are a weight penalty).

dodgy

Google Yishun carbon wheels. Lots of dicussions on Bikeradar and Roadbikereview with positives and negatives.

I have never seen a pair, but you're after some cheap carbon hoops, so....

Top Bottom