Carbon wheelset - advice please, particularly lightbicycle/other Chinese carbon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Looking for a set of carbon hoops. I've had a look at hunt as they're a reasonable price but I've heard mixed things. My other alternative is something from lightbicycle which seem to get sterling reviews. I also like the fact I can pick the hub I want for around the same price as the hunt. Anyone got a set and can vouch for them?

vickster

Legendary Member
The Wiggle Prime options seem to get good feedback
What specifically are you looking for from Carbon wheels?

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

The Wiggle Prime options seem to get good feedback
What specifically are you looking for from Carbon wheels?

Speed 😂

Seriously tho, I'm looking for something thats fast but is still light enough for hill climbing. Looking at 40mm ish depth. A lot of my rides are rolling roads without insane gradients (okay some are - but most are not).

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
With Hunt, you're getting an unknown Chinese OEM build with a brand sticker. Would advise against them on grounds of quality, crosswind instability, as well as performance. They do have good customer support though - give credit where it's due.

Lightbicycle is a decent choice, if you're concerned about crosswinds: Get the ones with an undulating trailing edge - they won't be as fast but super stable, compared to other rims with similar depth.

If you're looking for marginal gains, Winspace/Lún would be a good choice - very slippery but with a classic cross-section, i.e. prone to crosswinds. I personally think that 40-50mm depth is entirely manageable but that's very subjective.

ICAN and 9Velo are other good-quality 'officially Chinese' brands that you may want to look at. Prime is a good value brand, and last but not least - you can find a local wheel builder and get a quote - it's probably cheaper than you think to have a set built.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

What's your budget? I've a set of LightBicycle rims which are decent, son. no. 2 has a set of NR6 wheels and also uses Novatec's which are cheaper. He's currently using some Parcours Grimpeur 40mm / Passista 56mm which are very nice.

Well I can pick up a set of lightbicycle for just under 700 quid (40/45mm depth I think, can't remember offhand) so that's about my budget - I can stretch (i don't really like to set a budget - I like to keep options open, but this is my ballpark)
With Hunt, you're getting an unknown Chinese OEM build with a brand sticker. Would advise against them on grounds of quality, crosswind instability, as well as performance. They do have good customer support though - give credit where it's due.

Lightbicycle is a decent choice, if you're concerned about crosswinds: Get the ones with an undulating trailing edge - they won't be as fast but super stable, compared to other rims with similar depth.

If you're looking for marginal gains, Winspace/Lún would be a good choice - very slippery but with a classic cross-section, i.e. prone to crosswinds. I personally think that 40-50mm depth is entirely manageable but that's very subjective.

ICAN and 9Velo are other good-quality 'officially Chinese' brands that you may want to look at. Prime is a good value brand, and last but not least - you can find a local wheel builder and get a quote - it's probably cheaper than you think to have a set built.

Good to know! Will look into all of these.

Ajax Bay

Guru

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Do keep in mind that if you get the Hypers, they come out of the factory with Ceramicspeed hybrid bearings. These offer really low friction, but without proper maintenance will go bad quickly. And even with the right maintenance, will require replacing much sooner than standard bearings. Take this into account when making your choice - you will need replacement parts for £100 and proper tools or LBS support so add that to the price.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Do keep in mind that if you get the Hypers, they come out of the factory with Ceramicspeed hybrid bearings. These offer really low friction, but without proper maintenance will go bad quickly. And even with the right maintenance, will require replacing much sooner than standard bearings. Take this into account when making your choice - you will need replacement parts for £100 and proper tools or LBS support so add that to the price.

Low(ish) maintenance matters more to me than some boujee bearings tbh. Hence my query about the hunt - I'd heard their bearings weren't great. My bitex hub on the other hand has been great and has needed next to no maintenance at all. Granted I didn't ride them in the winter but they've still not needed much maintenence.

Top Bottom