Carbs & proteins?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have lost a lot of weight in the time that I have lived in Canada (one year), just based off of walking and dietary changes (we Americans are a fat lot). However, I have a lot to go and since I started biking in the last year I have noticed that after riding around for three or four hours, not pushing myself hard, my leg muscles will start to feel like rubber. I drink plenty of water and I don't feel overly fatigued so I am wondering if I need to increase my carbs and or proteins. Obviously, I have been wary of increasing my carbs because I want to lose weight but how can I strike a balance? Anyone have any ideas?

pepecat

Are you eating anything after your ride? You would need to get some fuel into you after you've cycled, even if you've not pushed hard, cos you will burn stuff. Other people would probably know better than me what to eat, but carbs after a ride seem like a good idea to me.
Do you only take water on a ride with you? I guess you could try something like watered down fruit juice or squash cos they will give you some sugars / energy (not much, of course) as you're cycling.

Broadside

Guru
After about 2 hours in the saddle you will have used up the stored energy in your muscles. Are you taking on any carbs during the ride? If the answer is no then I am not surprised your legs feel like jelly!Let us know what food you have prior to going out and while out and then hopefully we can offer some advice or ideas.

OP
OP
AmericanWoman

AmericanWoman

Regular
After about 2 hours in the saddle you will have used up the stored energy in your muscles. Are you taking on any carbs during the ride? If the answer is no then I am not surprised your legs feel like jelly!Let us know what food you have prior to going out and while out and then hopefully we can offer some advice or ideas.

Hmm, normal breakfast in this house usually means Eggs, Bacon, Toast or pancakes, or yogurt w/fruit, etc. On the ride it's usually just water and some kind of trail mix, fruit/crackers, etc. We will have a big lunch/early dinner when we get home. Chicken & veggies usually. We aren't big on eating pork and beef and like I said, I've been avoiding pasta although we do eat rice quite often. I realize that my current diet is probably inadequate for cycling activity. heh I know I need to build my stamina as well with more practice but I didn't know if there might be something else I could eat while on the road that could give me some staying power. I like to ride all day long but at this point my body just can't handle that too well. We usually end up having to grab the bus home. =P

OP
OP
AmericanWoman

AmericanWoman

Regular
What sort of distance are you covering during a ride?

about 20-30 kilometers I'd say, give or take. I should probably say that I was trying to cover this distance on a comfort bike with mtb tires.
laugh.gif

OP
OP
AmericanWoman

AmericanWoman

Regular
3 hrs for 30km??? thats roughly 6mph !!!

ya speed demon hahahahah :thumbsup:

haha we do short and long rides. The longest we have done is 30km and that was over the course of the day. Ride to the beach, hang out for a while maybe have lunch and then ride home. The shorter rides are probably 10km in 2-3 hours in Richmond and thank GOD, it's totally flat.

jim55

Guru
i have a lot of family in surrey and its very nice ,,take the bike down to white rock ,,i bet thatd b a cracking run/day out

OP
OP
AmericanWoman

AmericanWoman

Regular
i have a lot of family in surrey and its very nice ,,take the bike down to white rock ,,i bet thatd b a cracking run/day out

I would love to! Only been to white rock once and not on the bike. I'm not sure we can even get there without getting on the freeway and I don't know about you, but I ain't riding on the freeway! haha

Broadside

Guru
i don't think this is a nutrition issue causing the tired legs! 15km there followed by rest and food will provide plenty of energy for the return journey. 10km in 2 hours is only just doing walking speed.

My advice would be don't worry about fueling for these rides at all because you don't need to. Work at increasing your speed or distance which in turn will burn more calories. good luck!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
From personal experience only I find that a longer break during a ride hurts me more than a short one. If riding alone I stop only long enough to refuel or expel waste products. 5 mins is a normal rest period for me. 30 mins is a long rest period.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Eat oats or a decent cerial for breakfast. Take some bananas and something oat based as a snack, and drink plenty. Nothing more.

I did originally read it as you were doing 3-4 hours constant - didn't realise the pace was very leisurely, so deffo don't go eating too much or you'll get no gain. Practice makes perfect.

When out with the kids, we cover upto 30km's and they and we just have water and a 'snack' just to keep them happy, that's it - there is usually a stop off before the return journey which might be a kids playground. Average speed is over 10 kmh.

Don't ask about fueling for high intensity rides of 150km's then, the calories I shovel in are scarey ! :wacko:

OP
OP
AmericanWoman

AmericanWoman

Regular
Ok thanks a bunch. I wasn't sure if it was diet or just the fact that I haven't build my endurance up yet. It's quite difficult getting started. haha Hubby rides every day, me just on the weekends so he's in better shape than I am.
blush.gif

Top Bottom