Career change/shift working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
Not sure how old you are, but my niece was asked to re-apply in at least a couple of years, as at 21, they considered her too immature to be a paramedic. She has set her heart on being one and had also joined the St. John's Ambulance to get her foot in the door.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
User

I contacted the local St John's ambulance and they required me to give a lot of hours to volunteering a week which with the cycling back when I was training was very difficult to commit to.

Zacklaws/Vike - I wouldn;t midn being a PTI but I think the army and policing would probably be too far in the wrong direction for me but thanks for the suggestions. I do know that I have to get organised with the cycling but my fear is I'll end up like beanz and be too tired to get any rides in as I'm rubbish with lack of sleep.

Chris - I'm older than your niece so that's alright.

ASC- Well the dream profession - nothing at all related to paramedics - I would like to be a photojournalist and freelance photographer but have not got the cash to train up properly as need to really get the technical skills under my belt and the problem with freelancing is supporting myself and getting the break into it as it's notoriously cutthroat and well not everyone makes it and I haven't got all the equipment I would need to do it as again it's a funding issue. I hope this isn't justa pipedream and would like to work towards it but it seems like a very remote goal at the moment.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I've had work training and am an appointed first aider- it's the more complex stuff that I would need to pick up. Down here they require 40-60 hours a month which is a lot to give timewise I can understand with how they train you up but doesn't give me much time for anything else.

I came across a paramedic with my old job and he said I should contact them to come out with them on a few shifts to get a feel for the job but the head office doesn't allow that anymore.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
One of my best friends has left the ambulance service over here after 23 years service because of the way the profession has gone. Bureaucracy, targets, hours etc so be aware that it may be a tougher job than it was. He has fallen on his feet and is now a paramedic in sunny Sydney who were recruiting over here last year.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hey Rich P - do you know if the Aussies only take on qualified people or do they want trainees?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
You might want things like this http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf

It's a horrifyingly complicated points based system in Australia. Unless someone has some specific tips that's the sort of document you have to rack your brains over, it's what someone I used to live with and their parents had to work out. As it makes out in the preamble it is unlikely they'll train people up in general. I didn't see paramedic listed on p6 or elsewhere with a quick gloss. It's possible it's not on there or that Australians called paramedics something else.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi User76 - yeah I do need to get my act together in pursuit of the dream - it's very risky though as need something to support myself in the interim

I wouldn't want to work as a nurse in the NHS - have a background in the NHS myself and it's really not for me - what I work in now is associated with the NHS but not quite.

EDIT: I used to think my heart was in it and it's something I'd enjoy but just thinking broadly about it now

rich p

ridiculous old lush
ttcycle said:
Hey Rich P - do you know if the Aussies only take on qualified people or do they want trainees?

Sorry,tt,, missed this. Yes, it's only qualified paramedics I'm afraid and they may have been inundated anyway.

Top Bottom