Careful if you use the fallowfield Loop Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I need to get down there more often, barstewards!

With a big iron stick.

Full suspension MTB, big lights, shred it. Love canal riding at night.
If you love it that much I have a gpx route from Wolverhampton to the Bridgewater that uses a lot of canal - never knew there were so many around Stoke until I rode it one night - didn't need suspension.

I have no idea about riding on the Bridgewater Canal at night.
Fine in the daytime though.
The geese might be a problem along the bank as they are protecting their nests and soon their goslings.
ah - yes - cycled along it the other day - geese did look rather fearsome.

rest of my route was route 55 from bolton to monton - never been on it before - an old railway line by the looks of it - bits of that maybe seemed a bit quiet/potential for trouble. But hopefully that doesn't suffer from similar issues as will probably be using it again soon.

Katherine

Guru

rest of my route was route 55 from bolton to monton - never been on it before - an old railway line by the looks of it - bits of that maybe seemed a bit quiet/potential for trouble. But hopefully that doesn't suffer from similar issues as will probably be using it again soon.

The loopline from Monton is no trouble apart from being busy with families and dog walkers at weekends.
Avoid it at 9am Saturday mornings when the park runners use it.
It is well used by commuters.

Katherine

Guru

The loopline from Monton is no trouble apart from being busy with families and dog walkers at weekends.
Avoid it at 9am Saturday mornings when the park runners use it.
It is well used by commuters.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
As @Katherine said, the Roe Green loop line is a nice route.
I used to use it frequently going to my fiancées in Davyhulme and at all hours from early am till late pm. Never once had an issue with anyone else.
I don't remember passing hordes of runners but dog walkers, commuters and mums with prams groups are aplenty.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That is really strange. Fly tipping on an industrial scale, and the mixture of waste almost looks like it has come from the back of a refuse wagon.
i wonder if is just an employee of a waste firm that decided to drop his last load of the day and go home, in protest at pitifully low wages or working conditions?

Reactions: C R

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That is really strange. Fly tipping on an industrial scale, and the mixture of waste almost looks like it has come from the back of a refuse wagon.
i wonder if is just an employee of a waste firm that decided to drop his last load of the day and go home, in protest at pitifully low wages or working conditions?
It sounds like he must have driven a heck of a long way to do so though, the waste appears to have been from 'daan saaarf', wonder if anyone has just bought a bin wagon on Ebay.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Rode the Floop from Audenshaw out to the Fallowfield Sainsbury's and back this morning.

Quite disappointingly routine! I wasn't threatened, robbed, intimidated or challenged in any way, in fact all the interactions I had with other users were very civil and polite exchanges. I also failed to encounter any mountains of rotting refuse or gangs of undesirable youths. It was a pleasant and efficient way to navigate across South Manchester in the morning rush hour, certainly much better than the alternative which was to take the car and risk sitting in queues for longer than the 40 minutes the bike journey took.

fossyant

Rode the Floop from Audenshaw out to the Fallowfield Sainsbury's and back this morning.

Quite disappointingly routine! I wasn't threatened, robbed, intimidated or challenged in any way, in fact all the interactions I had with other users were very civil and polite exchanges. I also failed to encounter any mountains of rotting refuse or gangs of undesirable youths. It was a pleasant and efficient way to navigate across South Manchester in the morning rush hour, certainly much better than the alternative which was to take the car and risk sitting in queues for longer than the 40 minutes the bike journey took.

The 'undesirables' don't get up until the afternoon. TBH, never had any trouble myself on it.

PS there is a Sainsbury's near your home....:tongue::bicycle:

fossyant

Reports on twitter and the FLOOP facebook page - male knocked off bike and his Boardman Road bike stolen. Two males near Whalley Range School at Athol Road. 27th Jan 5pm

Strange as it's not in the 'dodgy' area which was always near Fallowfield. It's where I used to get on and off the Floop near work.

Etern4l

A nice anecdote, but sample size 1. How about 100 rides? What if you knew there was about 1% chance of getting assaulted and robbed while cycling along a particular route - would you still use it? Would most reasonable people?

Top Bottom