Carera hybrid 2.0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mman

Hi
Newbie here
I have purchased a carera hybrid 2.0 recently and noticed the disc breaks make a noise and the cycle doesn’t come to halt when at speed .I have since oiled it any further tips or advice how to service the bike at home or checks will be much appreciated

vickster

Legendary Member
Is the bike new? If so, take it back to Halfords for them to check. Not all brakes are great especially on cheaper bikes but they probably just need adjusting.
If the bike isn't new, it may need new pads.
Lots of disc brakes squeal especially in the wet, not easy to remedy (but good for alerting pedestrians to your presence!!()

Oh and don't put oil anywhere near brakes!! Unless you mean the brake oil for hydraulic systems?

Reactions: C R

sleuthey

Legendary Member
the cycle doesn’t come to halt when at speed .I have since oiled it
So are you saying that no matter how long you squeeze the brake leaver for it will never slow down to a complete stop?

What was the outcome of whatever you oiled? If you oiled the pads then make sure your social distanced if you test it.

OP
OP
M

mman

Many thanks
Is the bike new? If so, take it back to Halfords for them to check. Not all brakes are great especially on cheaper bikes but they probably just need adjusting.
Lots of disc brakes squeal especially in the wet, not easy to remedy (but good for alerting pedestrians to your presence!!()

Oh and don't put oil anywhere near brakes!! Unless you mean the brake oil for hydraulic systems?
Its a used bike
I m doing exactly that using brakes to alert pedenstrians ;-) but also worried i may run into them

OP
OP
M

mman

So are you saying that no matter how long you squeeze the brake leaver for it will never slow down to a complete stop?The bike does slow down slowly however i thought as these are disc brakes the bike will slow down quickly

What was the outcome of whatever you oiled? If you oiled the pads then make sure your social distanced if you test it.
I bought this product from Wilkos 3in 1 lubrication oil
There has been no improvement since using this

Thanks for the reply

OP
OP
M

mman

Thanks for the reply

I was wondering if i can service it myself so i get to know the bike and maintenace better
Was wondering if there are any videos or resources for these kind of bikes and also what are essential maintenace for each sesason
Trying to utilise the lockdown

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Disc brakes on budget bikes are never going to be the best. They won't improve on secondhand examples. Trying to make them better is pretty much a lost cause.
I should look for some replacement calipers and pads that will work with your existing lever set up. Discs should be okay as you can clean any contamination off with brake cleaner.

DRM

Guru
Oil and brake surfaces are a recipe for a trip to A&E, what exactly did you spray oil on, the bike may well need the rotors cleaning and new pads, are they mechanical or hydraulic, if mechanical they may have just needed cleaning and adjusting, but now the pads may well be contaminated and lethal to ride the bike

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom