Cargo cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Philglh

Hi everyone. Listen this crazy law that cargo cycles can't go through Royal parks I'm baffled. Yes my cargo cycle has the company name on it. But I don't sell or trade in the park I use the cycle path to go through it to my destination. Anyone got any thoughts on this

Dan77

Had no idea.

Of course if we end up with loads of them in the coming years then it could cause a problem but it sounds like it's addressing a problem that doesn't currently exist and we should be doing more to encourage people to use cargo bikes for deliveries.

Is there a reason given? The extra weight wouldn't help in an impact with a pedestrian and most of them are presumably battery assisted and so possibly travelling at a significant speed. I wouldn't want to be hit by a non cargo ebike at speed either though. Trying to understand the logic and whether it has been specifically outlawed for a reason.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Hi everyone. Listen this crazy law that cargo cycles can't go through Royal parks I'm baffled. Yes my cargo cycle has the company name on it. But I don't sell or trade in the park I use the cycle path to go through it to my destination. Anyone got any thoughts on this

If you are passing through on a cargo bike used for trade (but not trading within the park boundaries) I can't see how this might be an offence.

Drago

Legendary Member
What definition or specification are they giving to define a cargo cycle?

As far as legislation itself goes, particularly the Road Traffic Act, there are only "bicycles", regardless of size, carrying capacty, or configuration.

OP
OP
P

Philglh

Had no idea.

Of course if we end up with loads of them in the coming years then it could cause a problem but it sounds like it's addressing a problem that doesn't currently exist and we should be doing more to encourage people to use cargo bikes for deliveries.

Is there a reason given? The extra weight wouldn't help in an impact with a pedestrian and most of them are presumably battery assisted and so possibly travelling at a significant speed. I wouldn't want to be hit by a non cargo ebike at speed either though. Trying to understand the logic and whether it has been specifically outlawed for a reason.
Hi yeah regarding speed mine is limited to 15mph. Regarding safety can only speak for myself but I am extremely cautious cycling through parks I allways slowdown

Top Bottom