Cargo Trailer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ogwen

Regular
What are people's views on the subject of Panniers v Trailers? I have started to see more and more people carrying their equipment on trailers this summer. As the time has come for me to give the last rites to my old Halfords panniers, I'm wondering whether to go for Gotleib bags or go for a trailer instead. My main concern about trialers is getting them on and off trains and how well do they cope off road as a number of national cycle routes do venture off road from time to time. Opinion please.

snorri

Legendary Member
Opinion please.
I've been considering buying a trailer for years.^_^
I think first you have to decide what you want one for, going on cycle tours for days, weeks or months at a time, going to the supermarket for your weekly shop, or for some specific task like carrying catering equipment to a football match!
Also availability of storage space is a factor to consider, empty panniers taking up a lot less space than an empty trailer.
I share your concerns re getting trailers on and off trains and small ferries, also up and down stairs. I can carry my bike with fully laden panniers for a short distance, but could not carry bike and trailer in one lift.
Foodstuffs can often get crushed when panniers are used for the weekly shop, but a bit of crushing of clothes and camping gear is unlikely to be a problem when touring.
I think the only answer is to have both panniers and a trailer and use whichever suits the task on the day.:smile:

You can cheat when it comes to trains.

I use a Radical Cyclone for some touring where trains are an issue:

It is a holdall:

cycloneIII_draagtas_big.jpg

That converts to a traiier

radical_cyclone.jpg

For other tours I use a Carry Freedom with a waterproof Ortlieb bag. I also have other boxes and fittings for shopping and tip runs.

Bulky and really dirty stuff goes into an old Burley child trailer, and if off-road I use the Bob Yak

Top Bottom