Cargo trailer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm thinking about getting a trailer (I don't drive, so this would be for carrying bigger/heavier things than my panniers can cope with!). I've found two which look as though they would be suitable: the Erde Cargo Trailer and the Avenir Mule.

They have similar capacities, but the loading capacity of the Erde is apparently much higher (100kg vs. 40kg), so I'm leaning towards that one. However, I notice that it also has bigger wheels, so am not sure whether this will affect the centre of gravity.

Just wondering whether anyone has any experience with either (or both!) of these, or whether there is anything else (<£100) worth considering. Thanks in advance.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Have you looked at the Revolution Cargo Load Trailer, a wee bit more expensive but a lot lighter. Oh and this site is useful...

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've got the Mule. It's a reasonable budget trailer and does what I need it to do, it folds flat- which was a requirement for me. The hitch isn't the best, it clamps onto the chainstay but how well it clamps does depend on the shape of your chainstays and the strength of your hand. I find it doesn't work so well on oversized aluminium tubes. In practice this rules out one of my bikes as a tow bike- all of my other (alu) bikes are fine.

I've not heard of the Erde trailer before, I'd be interested to see what sort of hitch design is used. The load rating suggests it's a bit more rugged than the Mule trailer.

C

chillyuk

I too use the Mule. My only gripe is that the load can slide and rub the fabric sides of the trailer against the wheels. I have a rigid plastic box that is almost an exact fit inside the trailer and stops this problem.

It is possible to change the hitch to a better one, but for occasional use the one fitted works OK.

Fiona N

Veteran
I've got a large Carry Freedom Y-frame trailer - pretty much the same carrying capacity of the Erde for 1/3 the weight (and twice the cost, probably :biggrin:) which is a factor as it's hilly here. The flat trailer is really flexible - I strap on a large lidded, plastic box for food shopping but can also carry 2 x 70L bags of compost on the flat platform or take the lid off the box for plants and taller items (water butt, anyone?). So it's been pretty optimal for car-free country living, especially once I got the more robust hitch than the lightweight one supplied.

Have you noticed the Erde is 18+kg unladen? I'd have to say, with that weight - presumably the steel floor and understructure - you shouldn't have too much problem with high CoG.

RedBike

I have a trailer like the revolution one. It's only (at a guess) ~10kg unlaiden.
When fully laiden (now ~20kg) you can really notice that extra weight on the climbs. I'd hate to think what 100kg of extra weight feels like.

Jugular

If you're into bikes for carrying you could buy a Surly Big Dummy or something from practicalcycles.com. 100kg is a lot of stuff. Not sure I'd want to tow that weight.

My review of the Mule is here

It may be a little harsh but reflects the fact that I really wish I'd bought the Revolution trailer instead - not least because I can't currently use my mule since my only rim-braked bike is out on extended loan to a mate whose forks are being returned to the manufacturer - and the Mule won't attach satisfactorily to either my MTB or tourer, both of which have discs.

The revolution would be suitable for all my bikes, and wouldn't tip over the same on high speed (high speed meaning "over 10MPH") cornering like the mule, which is, in effect, a lighter version of the old fashioned homebrew trailers made from old prams.

ricksavery

Über Member
'...especially once I got the more robust hitch than the lightweight one supplied.'

Hi Fiona N, I am thinking of getting the Carry Freedom Y-frame and have come across a few comments about the lightweight hitch not being that great. You mentioned a more robust one. Did you get that from Carry Freedom? If not, could you point me in the direction please? Thanks a lot

ricksavery said:
'...especially once I got the more robust hitch than the lightweight one supplied.'

Hi Fiona N, I am thinking of getting the Carry Freedom Y-frame and have come across a few comments about the lightweight hitch not being that great. You mentioned a more robust one. Did you get that from Carry Freedom? If not, could you point me in the direction please? Thanks a lot

See this CTC forum thread with pictures

The "Lollipop" Hitch is simple and robust, it also rattles less than the standard. It is available from CF directly.

Bad news is that being elastomer based the first use is a little disconcerting as there is a little boinginess in the hitch. However this is not umnageable and far less annoying than the rattle of the original hitch.

Email nick@carryfreedom.com for information and prices

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
readerphotoReuben.jpg

http://bikeportland.org/2010/04/30/reader-photo-of-the-week-7-miles-270-pounds-of-cargo/

OP
OP
P
Thanks (belatedly!) for all the input - I hadn't realised the Erde trailer was so heavy, so have ruled that one out for the time being. I hadn't considered the EBC Revolution because the one-wheeled design scares me a bit (:becool:) and I'd be scared of it falling over, but it sounds like the Mule trailer might be less stable despite having two wheels. Might have to save up a bit more and invest in the Revolution...even though it's more then I'd really want to spend, I'd rather not buy something that's a bit cheaper but doesn't serve its purpose as well.

shirazlover

Bumper Transporter

Hi Like you im looking around for a trailer as want to go on tour and take camping gear, there is also the bumper transporter, best price i have seen on line is £85, does anyone have any experience of it, the others i have seen are the Burley Nomad, but best price have seen is just under £300, anyone got a second hand one for sale:biggrin:

Alan

Top Bottom