Carlton Competition Identification!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@John Smithy Interesting to note the difference in serial no's. If it's just a straight forward production run number, then your frame was the 103,929th frame built after mine, they were probably not all "Competitions though! The only number in my serial no. that could identify the year is the first digit "1" which could be for 1971 and maybe your first digit "2" means it was produced in 1972? Who Knows!? :smile:

Attachments

• SN149873.jpg
    SN149873.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 19
There was quite a change by 1973 . No chrome , plain lugs , no wrap over seat stays which were thicker and not pencil thin. I'm a bit disappointed! Mine is white with blue banding on the seat tube .

There was quite a change by 1973 . No chrome , plain lugs , no wrap over seat stays which were thicker and not pencil thin. I'm a bit disappointed! Mine is white with blue banding on the seat tube .
I think I've seen your bike, has it got red handlebar tape? It's a shame they dropped the chrome. Maybe it had something to do with the take over by Raleigh + more modern ideas + cost cutting? Nice looking frame though and still 531 tubes I'm guessing? I see you are not too far from me, I'm in Shepton Mallet, Somereset.

SV980

Regular
. The only other odd frame I can think of is the Team Carlton BMB bikes of the period, but they were blue and yellow.

Hi there Spokesman .
Noticed your comment about Team BMB bike while attempting to dig up info on a frame I have .
Not a lot of info to be had on them it seems .
HAve you ever seen one " in the flesh '' ?

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Hi there Spokesman .
Noticed your comment about Team BMB bike while attempting to dig up info on a frame I have .
Not a lot of info to be had on them it seems .
HAve you ever seen one " in the flesh '' ?
Yes - check out the Carlton Cycles Of Worksop Group on FB.

SV980

Regular
hi Mike
Greetings from New Zealand .
HAd a look through that facebook group when it was a "public" group .(now private) some time back .
The only bike I could find was a very nice replica made as a tribute from a GiRO ? frame .
I also heard from another contact, there was some debate a couple years ago about the date etc of my frame on the same group.
Not posted by me but by a member of FB group .
Was not able to find this either .

There is one specifc detail that makes me think it is a Team BMB frame from 1967/68
There are three raised areas on the top tube with a hole .
It has been suggested that these are the remnants of top tube cable guides which have been cut off.
This is not correct . I have photos of these areas covered with historical paint and chrome covering them .
Also there are some photos from the time of team race bikes which show frames with no top tube cable clips .
This would be fairly unusual at the time I would have thought ?
I wonder if Carlton experimented with an early plastic push in clip ?

All of the above leads back to my original question about someone having seen one in real life rather than photos and literature from back then .
Hope the above all makes sense ?
Any comments / criticism/ advise etc on above happily accepted .

Cheers Jonathan

I think I've seen your bike, has it got red handlebar tape? It's a shame they dropped the chrome. Maybe it had something to do with the take over by Raleigh + more modern ideas + cost cutting? Nice looking frame though and still 531 tubes I'm guessing? I see you are not too far from me, I'm in Shepton Mallet, Somereset.
Yes. It's off the road at the moment . It has a Campag BB which means my crank puller won't work. My brother made up an adaptor for it but the puller's threads stripped . I bought it as a frame , cranks and stem off the bay years ago .

I think you are right about the cost cutting , but I think chroming became expensive at that time as chrome bumpers on cars from that period became painted versions . It is a shame as chrome stays on bikes look really nice .

crbeeching

Regular
The Competition only appears in the Carlton catalogues between 1968 and 1970. My frame is identical in all features, but has at some stage in its past had a rather shabby 'rattle-can' respray (in a hideous metallic blue). Braze-ons match those other two in this thread with the exception of a gear hangar - but on closer inspection it appears mine has been sawn off. There's no mention of a 'Competition' model in the '71 catalogue, nor subsequently. The '69-'70 catalogue lists a 'Competition' as a frame only (no chrome), and a 'Corsa Strada Competition' which appears to be a very different animal with centre-pull rear brake hangar and top-tube brake cable stops. The Corsa Strada version also doesn't carry any reference to 531 tubing. I suspect, therefore, that the Competition (in its own right, and only ever 'frame only' was a rather nice frame, to be built up as a bespoke machine by each owner. So with the earlier two in this thread, and mine (frame number 148936) we can be pretty sure they fall between early 1968 and late 1970. Anyone have any more information?

Attachments

• IMG_3542.jpg
    IMG_3542.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 9

crbeeching

Regular
Apologies - to add a little more 'flesh on the bone', the later Competition II appeared with chamfered seat stays and Nervex lugs in 1972. No 'Competition' model was offered in '71, so there are two distinct types of Competition frame; the early (68-70) style with wrap-over seat stays, a break in '71, and then the Mk II from 72 onwards for a few years. It would be interesting to know whether the Mk IIs had a different (ie not 6-number) frame numbering system.

Top Bottom