Carlton Constellation c1955-58

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
This is a recent cycle I purchased from a gentleman who contacted me through my website. He basically was not interested in making a profit on the bike, but wanted it to be sold to someone who would look after, restore and above all ride this wonderful machine again. A deal was struck and the cycle winged its way to Plymouth.

For those who dont know, this is a 23" framed model with a all chrome frame. The frame uses Lindrick lugs which were only used in the 1950s. the frame is true with no dents or dings and apart from tyres and brake blocks is entirely original. It uses a 10-speed Cyclo Benelux derailleur with a hand operated front changer - state of the art in 1955! I intend to restore this cycle back to a clean, rideable and sound machine. i have no intention of turning it into a museum piece, so a few scratches and marks will be left. The cycle has a wonderful Lycett Swallow leather saddle which has consumed a fair bit of my Brooks proofhide to get it back to a deep lustre and shine. Apart from new pedals/toe clips and a couple of tyres all this classic machine needs is time and a large helping of elbow grease.

Ill post more images as the restoration progresses.

Enjoy.

Bike as was, (pic by former owner)
IMG_0297-1.jpg

In my cramped workshop
P6300389.jpg

P6300393.jpg

P6300389.jpg

Dismantling begins...
P6300403.jpg

Chainwheel is a Williams, driving through a Wiless Bayley BB.

Chrome aint too bad, just need polishing and some rust spots removing
P6300404.jpg

P6300410.jpg

P6300412.jpg

Knew those take aways would be useful...
P6300407.jpg

P6300406.jpg

The decals will be replaced by exact originals...
P6300414.jpg

Should be interesting using this gear change on the road...
P6300394.jpg

Cyclo Benelux lever...
P6300401.jpg

The cycle uses Cyclo drop outs front and rear.

Attachments

• P6300389.jpg
    P6300389.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 94
OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

I should add if anyone has an idea of how the cycle name appeared presumably on the top tube, id love to know.

stevevw

Guru
Another great bike, ooking forward to seeing the rebuild.
I tell you what you are lucky you are so far away from me or I would be poping round every day to see the progress. ;)

If you come across a nice pair of GB Coureur 66 Calipers could you let me know as the ones on the Italia have broken springs and the anodised GB logo covers are in a bad way.

Cheers Steve

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

stevevw said:
Another great bike, ooking forward to seeing the rebuild.
I tell you what you are lucky you are so far away from me or I would be poping round every day to see the progress. :rolleyes:

If you come across a nice pair of GB Coureur 66 Calipers could you let me know as the ones on the Italia have broken springs and the anodised GB logo covers are in a bad way.

Cheers Steve

Ebay would be your best bet, Ive seen some go for silly prices, but then again some have gone quite cheaply, say 10-15 notes.

Update on the cycle it is indeed a 1958 model, dating the brakes, derailleur etc.

The cycle was bought from a gent in 1963 by the last owner's granfather who sold it to me. Apparently the bike was purchased to do timetrials in 1963 - the buyer then was in his sixties!

Nice to have some historical provenance with regard to the machine.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

A few images from the last fews day work on the bike. Ive repacked the BB and regreased the steerer. Also degreased, cleaned and refitted the brakes. Most of the time has been spent polishing out marks and grime on the frame. I still have the wheels to check over yet. New decals have yet to arrive.

The forks were rechromed in 1999 by the last owner.
P7030415.jpg

Fork crown and GB MK3 courier brake.
P7030416.jpg

The Williams double chainset has 46/49 teeth respectively
P7030424.jpg

TD Cross headset is very sound
P7030436.jpg

Ive refitted the bars now after much cleaning, these are GB Hiduminium.
P7030435.jpg

The frame is starting to look a lot better...
P7030430.jpg

P7030423.jpg

Enjoy.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Great shed too!

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Been busy over the last week or so. Still much polishing to do, but I've cleaned up the wheels - both are true. Re-packed the rear hub. Cleaning the spokes was a pain. Got the tyres on now - 27" World tours. There will be a lot of adjusting etc, I can see the Benelux rear mech being fun to sort out. It can only be adjusted for inner movement - basically they were made to accommodate either a 3, 4 or 5 speed block. Today was the cycle's first venture out of my cramped workshop - Ill do the rest of the work in the house. Im still waiting for new decals. The saddle still needs work to remove some marks but is adjusted to my height requirement now. Ive added a little Brooks tool roll just for those little spanners and screw drivers you always need.

Fresh out of the workshop...
P7080458.jpg

P7080467.jpg

P7080464.jpg

P7080459.jpg

Some fork crown details, i took the liberty of trying an old Ever Ready lamp for that period feel.
P7080463.jpg

P7080471.jpg

P7080468.jpg

P7080472.jpg

Work in progress...
P7080469.jpg

A blue Carlton C bolt on the seat tube...
P7080470.jpg

Williams chainwheel...
P7080460.jpg

I took the chance to retouch the Benelux name on the rod front changer...
P7080461.jpg

It going to be fun and a learning experience adjusted the Benelux Mk7 rear mech...
P7080465.jpg

P7080473.jpg

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

I took this bike out for a few short tests in my local park today. A few niggling troubles mostly with the rear mech and axle/cones, but overall it rides very well. it will take a bit of getting used to the front mech being rod operated and the fact that the Benelux gear when on the smallest rear sprocket corresponds to the lever being all the way back and vice versa. The total opposite to a 'normal' rear parallelogram mech.

Anyway hers a few picture of my venture in the park today, for them thats interested....

P7110483.jpg

P7110489.jpg

P7110486.jpg

P7110485.jpg

P7110498.jpg

P7110481.jpg

P7110482.jpg

Top Bottom