Carlton Continental c1972

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Been doing a few bits and bobs...

Rather dismayed to fined Ive got 4 broken spokes on the bak wheel, so that will need to go off to the shop...

Otherwise front wheel is all OK, this one is original with the bike, the rear one has been replaced after some goon drove into the back of me on a roundabout years ago.

Just a few pics for them that want to see. (Good shed pic too! :laugh: )

P7260713.jpg

My old Carlton is looking a bit cleaner...
P7260723.jpg

If only I could get some replacement imichrome decals....
P7260722.jpg

:cry:

P7260721.jpg

P7260720.jpg

P7260719.jpg

Dyno rewired and new bulbs replaced where necessary....
P7260718.jpg

P7260714.jpg

Megarange mech has been given a bit of a clean up too.
P7260717.jpg

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Ive put this bike back together today, still needs a few adjustments but it is really nice to see this one complete again.

This was bought for me, second hand for my 13th birthday back in 1976. My dad paid the princely sum of £38.00 for it. The bike has been with me ever since, we've done 1000s of miles together.

The Continental is original except for the brakes (originally Weinmann 730s), rear wheel, saddle, rear mech, drive train, front mech and tyres. Ive fitted this one with a 12-speed set up, using a mega-range rear mech and a 32-tooth rear sprocket. Front chainwheel was purchased by myself back in 1986 and is a 52/42 tooth affair. For many years this was my number one commuting machine - hence the gears. Plymouth is hilly and I regularly carried two heavy panniers...

Frame is a bit small for me now at 21" but the seat is pretty well up as far as it can safely go. When all said and done the bike is a very loved machine being my first Carlton...

Enjoy.

P8130074.jpg

P8130087.jpg

P8130088.jpg

Shimano 600
P8130085.jpg

P8130083.jpg

Big double bulbed Miller lamp...
P8130081.jpg

P8130078.jpg

P8130079.jpg

P8130075.jpg

I upgraded the brakes to GB Synchrons - love em.
P8130082.jpg

P8130089.jpg

P8130076.jpg

P8130077.jpg

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Well, I had admired it previously :blush:
Am feeling rather sad today as I managed to track down a very battered mauve Continental (1975) in my size. Sadly it shows evidence of having being crashed :sad: The top tube has a slight bend, small ripple behind the lug on the down tube and the forks aren't quite true. Am torn between trying to get it straightened out and resprayed, or trying to get a refund.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Well, I had admired it previously :blush:
Am feeling rather sad today as I managed to track down a very battered mauve Continental (1975) in my size. Sadly it shows evidence of having being crashed :sad: The top tube has a slight bend, small ripple behind the lug on the down tube and the forks aren't quite true. Am torn between trying to get it straightened out and resprayed, or trying to get a refund.

Thanks for your comments!

Have you purchased the other mauve Continental?

Im of the mind they are worth saving, but if the damage looks too much perhaps its best to cut loose now!

Does anyone actually still spray in the colour, ie a Polychromatic mauve as Carltons called it? I think mercian or Argos could do the job.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I have purchased it (but unseen). Mercian still do polychromatic mauve...but if they can't straighten out the tubes and they need replacing it's going to start being a very expensive re-furb. It's infuriating because the chrome is in very good condition and 19 1/2 inch frames are like hens' teeth!
Thanks for your comments!

Have you purchased the other mauve Continental?

Im of the mind they are worth saving, but if the damage looks too much perhaps its best to cut loose now!

Does anyone actually still spray in the colour, ie a Polychromatic mauve as Carltons called it? I think mercian or Argos could do the job.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

I have purchased it (but unseen). Mercian still do polychromatic mauve...but if they can't straighten out the tubes and they need replacing it's going to start being a very expensive re-furb. It's infuriating because the chrome is in very good condition and 19 1/2 inch frames are like hens' teeth!

True about that frame size, I have never come across one, seen plenty of the bigger sizes and lots of the 25" gates. If the chromes good thats a positive thing as after these amount of years and with poor maintenance its shot and worth nothing...

Look forward to seeing the bike.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Ive had a continental - 1974 in blue - which I bought second hand as a student in newcastle around 1990 - still got it today and still use it for commuting. Although the frasme is a little heavy, its comfortable and copes well with the pothole lined streets of Coventry. Not very original I'm affraid, only the frame and handlebars and Quill stem remain of the original bike - it now has 18 speed 105 sti gears, dual pivot brakes and recently I had to replace the forks as the thread had gone. Had it powdercoated two years ago too - done slightly over 24000Km on it since then - My commute is quite long (leicester - coventry) so it packs in the miles. Held up well all in all. Nice bike

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Ive had a continental - 1974 in blue - which I bought second hand as a student in newcastle around 1990 - still got it today and still use it for commuting. Although the frasme is a little heavy, its comfortable and copes well with the pothole lined streets of Coventry. Not very original I'm affraid, only the frame and handlebars and Quill stem remain of the original bike - it now has 18 speed 105 sti gears, dual pivot brakes and recently I had to replace the forks as the thread had gone. Had it powdercoated two years ago too - done slightly over 24000Km on it since then - My commute is quite long (leicester - coventry) so it packs in the miles. Held up well all in all. Nice bike

Has it still got the headbadge!
laugh.gif

Glad its still doing its job!

Top Bottom