Carlton Corsa?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glenn2605

Hi All,

So this is my first post and first break into classic/vintage and I’m hoping to learn a thing or two!

I’ve just picked up what I believe to be a Carlton Corsa based on images I’ve looked at on the internet, she’s had a hard life and needs TLC and restoring but I’m not sure where to start - all my other bikes are carbon..

The frame is going to need stripping back due to rusting/peeling paint and that’s the start - how do I best go about this?

Thanks in advance,
Glenn

Attachments

• 2067E225-257E-49BF-B617-BFD669657917.jpeg
    2067E225-257E-49BF-B617-BFD669657917.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 131
  • AF76230D-EE7F-4F1A-A440-E81B59A02D75.jpeg
    AF76230D-EE7F-4F1A-A440-E81B59A02D75.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 135
  • C9AF1F35-64E2-4400-89B8-55D2B96A16F0.jpeg
    C9AF1F35-64E2-4400-89B8-55D2B96A16F0.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 139

midlife

Guru
Polychromatic Aqua Green if memory serves. Cracking colour :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Glenn and welcome to the forum.

Remove all the components. You can try to strip it yourself but its a Long messy job or you can send it to a shot blaster who might also be able to do the respray. Decals are available from a company called Lloyd's I think.

Good luck and keep us updated.

davidphilips

Veteran
Only my view but your Carlton looks ok as is? May look better stripped and painted but theres something nice about a well used bike perhaps just clean polish and a good service?

OP
OP
Glenn2605

Glenn2605

Only my view but your Carlton looks ok as is? May look better stripped and painted but theres something nice about a well used bike perhaps just clean polish and a good service?
I've already stripped her this evening and now I can see what's lurking underneath it would be good to get everything back the former glory if possible, maybe losing a bit of weight along the way...

midlife

Guru
Frame number is April 1976 made in the Worksop factory..... A good year :smile:

For the rims if they are steel then fine wire wool and light oil to help lubricate, same for spokes.

The drive train is newer and looks like Shimano in the pics.

OP
OP
Glenn2605

Glenn2605

Frame number is April 1976 made in the Worksop factory..... A good year :smile:

For the rims if they are steel then fine wire wool and light oil to help lubricate, same for spokes.

The drive train is newer and looks like Shimano in the pics.

1976 eh, older than me at least. You’re correct they are Shimano drive components, I’m assuming to get a more varied gear range than the original also the gear selector has been repositioned at some point to the stem.

The cable routing had been changed as well whereby someone didn’t use the guides and just cable tied them to the frame!

The saddle is looking quite brittle so investigating how to restore it...

Cheers for the tips on the wheels, that’s tonight’s activity sorted :-)

Thanks for the reply’s, any advice on how to clean up the rims/spokes?
Your rims look like chrome. I use Hammerite rust removing gel which I find works well. Other people use different methods but I find that I can brush it on and let it work before working at it with a stiff brush and finally washing it off with water.

Top Bottom