Carlton Corsair, new arrival

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not a Carlton fan, but that's really nice is that. It revived beautifully.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Quick survey:

1. Black saddle and black bar tape (as original from factory) or
2. Brown saddle and brown bar tape (matches rest of colour scheme)?

Probably going for a Brooks B17 and cloth tape. Need help. Wife no use (what's wrong with the ones on it already?).

Thank you.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
View attachment 529471

The eagle-eyed among you will have noticed that the front and rear brake cables were wrong way round.
Some of us may think the cables are the correct way round.

Nice looking bike, BTW. Raleigh shot themselves in the foot when they ditched the Carlton name. They should have kept it and used it on their top end racing and touring frames, leaving the Raleigh badge on the other stuff. It is hard to compete with the likes of Colnago and all the highly regarded domestic builders that abounded back then when your race frame shares it's name with your three year old neighbours pink trike. Marketing is as important as quality if you want to sell, as any successful manufacturer knows.

Raleigh didn't.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Some of us may think the cables are the correct way round.

I wondered if anyone was going to say this. All the bikes I have ever ridden have been front brake to the right, and after 40 years on motorbikes I think my brain is imprinted permanently. Go on, I'll bite ... when was it the other way round, and why?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I wondered if anyone was going to say this. All the bikes I have ever ridden have been front brake to the right, and after 40 years on motorbikes I think my brain is imprinted permanently. Go on, I'll bite ... when was it the other way round, and why?
It never was here, but most of the rest of the world have front brake left. I prefer it myself because the cable route to the front has a gentler curve with under tape cabling, and the rear does not touch the headtube and eat it's way through the paint as it loops round the outside. Neither will apply on your bike, of course.

I also ride motorcycles and I never have a problem switching over.

midlife

Guru
Phil Bayton shows how it should be done :smile:

9_bayton_late_career.jpg

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
I remember that exact photo from my childhood. From the days when men were men, and cyclists were huge.

(Edit: No it wasn't. It was in Richard's Bicycle Book by late Richard Ballantine, in my twenties, the book that got me hooked on cycling rather than just being a kid with a bike.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom