Carlton Corsair, new arrival

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Looking really good @RichardB - please don't take this the wrong way, I think some amber walls would be the finishing touch 😊
I don't disagree. These were cheap and cheerful to get the bike on the road for me. Look at the photos of the rear tyre and tell me I could have waited! I'm going to have a look around, and if any nice gumwalls come up, I shall be considering them seriously. You're right - they do add something.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Schwalbe HS159 are puncture-resistant tanwalls and available in 27" x 1 1/4". Not silly money either.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Schwalbe HS159 are puncture-resistant tanwalls and available in 27" x 1 1/4". Not silly money either.
Thanks for the info. I have Schwalbes on the ebike and they have been absolutely awesome. Over 2k miles (lost track when bike computer died) with hardly any visible wear and zero 'incidents', despite commuting over some shockingly bad potholed country lanes. I'd happily buy the brand again. Bookmarked, cheers.

Gunk

Guru
Another period correct tyre to consider is the Michelin World Tour, I’ve put a set on my Claud Butler restoration.

ED8B11CA-B121-4DCA-AD01-358C52C4195B.jpeg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Another period correct tyre to consider is the Michelin World Tour, I’ve put a set on my Claud Butler restoration.

I've still got two part worn 38mm World Tours in my take-offs pile to use up that date from 1988, and were fitted to my Raleigh Gemini hybrid when it was made! They look a bit scruffy, but they're still sound.
They're quite a stout tyre, but not puncture-protected as such, unlike the HS159. @biggs682 uses HS159 as his replacement tyre for any 27" wheels he wants a tanwall on. I believe you can still get Marathons in 27", which have better puncture resistance than HS159, but don't look quite so correct on a drop bar bike. Not so out of place on a roadster though, because generally 3-speeds tended to have black tyres rather than tanwalls anyway.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I got a nice pair of Panaracer pasela 27x1 tyres for my Falcon a couple of months back. They are nice very nice.
They are but pricey

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I got mine for £57 for the pair. Inc postage.

That's M+ money, and if I was paying that much for a pair of tyres, I'd want them to be totally bomb-proof and last many thousands of miles. The Panaracer tyres do look the part, but they're way too pricey for something with minimal puncture resistance.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Lovely ride, although the 14-24 block is murdering my knees and thigh muscles. There's a hill in every direction from my house! My old bike had a 14-34 block which was ideal for hilly country and a modest fitness level. I've managed to track one down (NOS) from the US, so that is now on its way. Carlton in its natural habitat:

IMG_20200625_143256.jpg

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Lovely ride, although the 14-24 block is murdering my knees and thigh muscles. There's a hill in every direction from my house! My old bike had a 14-34 block which was ideal for hilly country and a modest fitness level. I've managed to track one down (NOS) from the US, so that is now on its way. Carlton in its natural habitat:

View attachment 532524
A superb looking machine.:notworthy:

Top Bottom