Carlton Corsair - worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I think Biggsy is trying to tell us he’d just ordered a new Range Rover :laugh:
Not sold a bike since lockdown :sad: due to shielding my partner

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
I think one just sold on here for £80, but looked in a bit of a state.....
If it's the one I am thinking of, it's not marked as sold at the moment. It's not a colour scheme I recognise and there are no Carlton decals visible in the photos, so I was curious and contacted the seller asking for more pics. Seller said that was too much effort for the money he was asking, so I withdrew. It's a 25", so probably too big for me anyway.

The eBay Corsair, as per original post ... I've been having a closer look and comparing it with my memory and some better images. There are a few differences from the bike I had. The eBay bike lacks a brazed-on bridge for the rear brake cable on the top of the seat stays (it has a pressed steel bracket on the seat post nut&bolt), and the cable runs complete through guides on the top of the top tube, instead of a bare wire between stops on the lower right of the top tube, as I remember it. Could this be a variation in spec over the period of production (which I think is unlikely) or is it possibly non-genuine? Anyone with better knowledge care to comment?

midlife

Guru
The Corsair and the Pro Am launched at the same time in 1978, both frames changed a bit over the years as did the decals. They also changed when they switched from 10 speed to 12.

Carlton said the 25" frame had to be made on a special line and charged a shed load extra for that size!

@RichardB I think you are right about the rather odd looking corsair.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
They may have changed around 1980? I did a quick image search and there is this one which has the bridge (1979)

https://glorydays.cc/shop/bikes/carlton/corsair/

and this which doesn't (1981)

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=232662

Perhaps the change ties in with the shutting down of the Worksop factory?

edit: by the way, I don't like the loss of the metal head badge :sad:

I've seen similar images, but these are definitive. The first (glorydays) is exactly what I had. The second (retrobike) is the one on eBay. Good to have confirmation that a) they are both genuine, and b) a possible reason for the difference. So where would the later bikes have been built? I bought mine from Cliff Pratt in Hull in about 1982.

+1 on the badge :sad:

The Corsair and the Pro Am launched at the same time in 1978, both frames changed a bit over the years as did the decals. They also changed when they switched from 10 speed to 12.

Carlton said the 25" frame had to be made on a special line and charged a shed load extra for that size!

@RichardB I think you are right about the rather odd looking corsair.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks so much both for your attention. This forum rocks.

midlife

Guru
I've seen similar images, but these are definitive. The first (glorydays) is exactly what I had. The second (retrobike) is the one on eBay. Good to have confirmation that a) they are both genuine, and b) a possible reason for the difference. So where would the later bikes have been built? I bought mine from Cliff Pratt in Hull in about 1982.

+1 on the badge :sad:

Thanks for the info.

Thanks so much both for your attention. This forum rocks.

I worked for Cliff Pratt Cycles from the mid 70's to the early 80's. I think I might have missed you by a year or so. It was likely Brian that sold you the bike :smile:

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
I worked for Cliff Pratt Cycles from the mid 70's to the early 80's. I think I might have missed you by a year or so. It was likely Brian that sold you the bike :smile:
I think we may have had this conversation before! I moved to the Wolds in 82 and I think I bought the bike soon after. I can't remember the name of the salesperson, but I do remember the disapproval when I asked him to remove the 'suicide brakes' before purchase and replace with normal levers. Heck, I loved that bike!

PHL67

Veteran
Thanks all. I was pretty sure it was overpriced. but wanted confirmation. I realise that it's a seller's market at the moment, but I would have thought that was more for modern, mainstream bikes - the stuff people see in Halfords on a Saturday afternoon. I won't pay £400, but I might be interested in a punt at half that. I might try a silly offer and see if the seller bites. He has lots of other bikes on his profile, so he's a dealer not a private seller. Trying his luck, I guess.
What bike are you looking for ?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Deed is done. After a bit of to-and-fro trhe seller and I have agreed on a price (a fair one, I think) and the bike will be couriered to me next week. Thanks for the opinions and suggestions. Will report in due course.
We will need lots of photos 😊

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Buy your bikes when the weather is crap, and ride your bikes when the weather is good. It's by far the cheapest and most pleasant way to enjoy cycling.
Now is not the right time to be adding to your fleet unless you get offered a genuine bargain, but most of those will not be via eBay or Gumtree!
I'm seeing Apollos and similar low end stuff going for more currently than you would pay for a decent 531 framed machine six months ago. I'm even tempted to fix up & flog a 90's Apollo MTB I found dumped at work a week ago. Normally I only strip such bikes for spare parts or keep them for pub hack use, but I can see an easy profit here for not much work..

Top Bottom