Carlton Corsair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David Garside

I've just been given an old Carlton (I think a Corsair). It has 10 gears, 27" wheels and I think a 23" frame. It has a decal with Reynolds on it but most of the decals are missing so can't be sure if it's 531 or not. It's a bit tatty and it may be a bit too big for me but do you think it's worth doing up.
Thanks.:hello:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
sounds good , as for is it worth doing up only pics can tell that .

why not just make it rideable then use for a while

OP
OP
David Garside

David Garside

Ok, I might just do that...Looking at it a bit more closely, it's from 1979 and it's 12 gears, not 10 as I first thought. When I get the chance i'll give it a good clean and service and go from there.
Thanks.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
depending on your feeling towards older steelies you might actually enjoy it over modern day bikes . if not loads of people who do would be interested in it

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Depends what you mean by "worth" doing up.

If that means making a handsome profit on the back of a restoration, then the answer is almost certainly "no". A restored bike is rarely worth more than the cost of the restoration.

The sad news is that, depending on the make/model and components concerned, a sale will usually realise more if the bike is stripped and the constituent parts sold separately.

However, it is hugely satisfying to give an old bike a new lease of life; that being said, if it's too big for you then there doesn't seem much point: how tall are you?

There's not much about Carlton that Spokesmann doesn't know, so he'll be able to give you a better idea of the standing of your bike.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Depends what you mean by "worth" doing up.

If that means making a handsome profit on the back of a restoration, then the answer is almost certainly "no". A restored bike is rarely worth more than the cost of the restoration.

The sad news is that, depending on the make/model and components concerned, a sale will usually realise more if the bike is stripped and the constituent parts sold separately.

However, it is hugely satisfying to give an old bike a new lease of life; that being said, if it's too big for you then there doesn't seem much point: how tall are you?

There's not much about Carlton that Spokesmann doesn't know, so he'll be able to give you a better idea of the standing of your bike.

As I said a picture would help. The Old Corsair can look pretty tasty if refurbed well, quite an attractive machine ( a bit of the old Criterium about it) esp. if it has the large flange hubs etc. I wouldn't mind one myself but 9 Carltons already take up a lot of room.
I wont be worth more when completed, although the ones I have seen make first class touring/commuting machines. As to whether its worth it depends on its condition now.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Quite: there's unlikely to be any financial benefit in restoring it; but if it was to be put back on the road, then that is a different matter.

However, if it is too big for David to use then that doesn't seem worthwhile: someone else might as well pick up the tab.

Either way "this thread is useless without photos"!

OP
OP
David Garside

David Garside

Hello again all.....I've just managed to get a picture on here for you to see. Since I took the picture I've put a new tyre and tube on the front and given the brakes and gears a once over...and taken it for a 2 or 3 miles spin. It rides very nicely, smooth and responsive. It's a 23" frame and I'm 5'6" and I thought it would be too big for me but other than my crutch slightly touching the crossbar when I'm stopped, it's fine.
I think i'll just ride it for a month or two and then strip it and give it a sympathetic rebuild....not a full restoration. I didn't intend to do it up and try to sell it for a profit, I'd rather enjoy it myself.
What do you think?

Attachments

• Bike0.JPG
    Bike0.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 398
  • Bike2.JPG
    Bike2.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 392
  • Bike4.JPG
    Bike4.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 366
  • Bike5.JPG
    Bike5.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 400
  • Bike6.JPG
    Bike6.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 386
  • Bike1.JPG
    Bike1.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 402
  • Bike3.JPG
    Bike3.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 366

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Wow! That just looks like it needs a wash & polish.

23" is too big, but if you're happy riding it then carry on regardless!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
+1 Scillys comments re wash & polish

according to the rule book that is a frame size for around a 5ft 10" person put if you are happy go for it

OP
OP
David Garside

David Garside

Yes it's cleaning up reasonably well....but with a nice patina.....As for the size, it's really good when i'm in the saddle but have to use my tiptoes a bit when i'm not....just like it was when I was a little kid and used to ride my big brother's mates bike.....maybe that's why I've got a sqeaky voice lol.....:laugh:

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Glad to read that you're enjoying it.

On the subject of "patina": it will definitely be worth more (if you come to sell it) as it is, in an unrestored, original condition.

If you're planning on a large family, then I practice just putting one foot down and leaning the bike to the side...

OP
OP
David Garside

David Garside

Ha ha...the family bit is long gone.....so no worries there.

I've rebuilt several motorbikes of the years and definitely think they're better with a bit of the age showing through. So will go down that route, maybe over the winter.

Top Bottom