Carlton corsair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hiya I'm new to this and after a bit of help. I wondered if anyone knew how much a carlton corsair is roughly worth? I believe they are both 1981 ish models, bronze in colour, used once and both in fantastic condition, no Marks, all original parts. Thanks

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I wouldn’t know but might be rather more than usual in the current climate. Here’s a member who bought one recently in excellent condition:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/carlton-corsair-new-arrival.262957/
You could ask him how much he paid by starting a conversation, click on his picture.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
I've been recently selling nice 531 Framed 1980's gents bikes for around £200 - £240, hope this helps.

Gunk

Guru
The amount of people I have seen out and about on older steel bikes, some of great age has been a revelation over the last few months.
It makes me wonder why they don't ride them more often.

I saw a very nice older Dawes Galaxy this morning with period saddle bag and panniers, there does seem to be more around.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The amount of people I have seen out and about on older steel bikes, some of great age has been a revelation over the last few months.
It makes me wonder why they don't ride them more often.

I've seen several old Peugeot steel 26" MTB's recently, all in field gate frame sizes. Not a brand I generally associate with MTB either. A few large framed Giants have also appeared, again 26" rigids.
Downtube-shifted drop bar machinery is also emerging and it's not just me that seems to ride one any more. Someone even rocked up at work the other day on a very nice Reynolds framed Dawes hybrid from about 1990, which I will admit I was quite envious of. I've never seen them on a bike before.

RichardB

Slightly retro
There's a Corsair on Ebay at the moment for £400, and it lacks mudguards and rack and is generally a bit tatty. I made enquiries, and the seller was prepared to be flexible over price. The one I bought I didn't even haggle over - the seller was asking a fair price and I paid it. It was a lot less than £400 for a bike that is complete, 99% original, and in really good condition. If these bikes are in really perfect condition and 100% original, I would start asking £500 and be prepared to settle for perhaps half that. In the current climate, I think you'll get most of that. Emphasise the originality and the condition in the ad - that's what the buyer of this kind of bike is looking for. Are they a 'matching pair' (same finish but gents'/ladies')? You might get a bit more selling them as a pair, as I have spoken to a few folk who are looking for husband/wife bikes in this lovely lockdown weather. Good luck - they are superb bikes and deserve the interest they get. I bought mine in a fit of nostalgia, as a CC was the first proper bike I bought with my own money and was my daily ride for many years when I started work and later had a young family. My 'new' one is 41 years old and a nicer ride than any modern bike I have been on.

IMG_3054.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you for that, yes they are a pair, both identical, one mens and ones ladies. After speaking with my mother again they are 99% original, only thing that has ever been changed are the seats ^_^

midlife

Guru
I'm not sure there was a ladies Corsair as it would have invaded the Courette territory? Pics would be nice :smile:

RichardB

Slightly retro
I wouldn't worry too much about the saddles not being original. When the bikes were new, a decent saddle (probably a Brooks B17 or Pro) would have been a common upgrade, and seen as an improvement on the factory product, not a dodgy personalisation. It wouldn't put me off - first thing I did with this one was get it a proper seat, same as I did in 1982. The factory seat was like sitting on an axe (for me, at least).

Yes, I don't remember a Lady Corsair (like there was officially a Dawes Galaxy and Lady Galaxy). Unless the OP means another gents' frame, but smaller? Pics of the pair would be very welcome.

Top Bottom