Carlton Courette 531 mixte, 21"

Discussion in 'For Sale and Auction' started by phantasmagoriana, 17 Jul 2012.

1. phantasmagoriana

phantasmagoriana Über Member

Carlton mixte, made in 1983. Seat tube 53cm C-T, virtual top tube c.55cm c-c.

[​IMG]

This is one of the last Courettes made (see http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/models/courette-2.htm) after Raleigh had taken over Carlton.

Good condition – has the usual marks and scratches as would be expected on a bike of this age, especially on the steel pannier rack, but any rust spots I found on the frame have been treated (though I haven’t found a touch-up paint in a suitable colour!). I converted this from drops to flat bars as I originally planned to use it for commuting – however, I just haven’t ridden it very much at all (probably 20 miles at most), as I prefer to use my hybrid which is a bit more versatile for the riding I do.

Very pretty, and would make a great town bike – sadly I don’t have the space to keep it, and it feels a bit small for me (I’m 5’7” so it would probably be best for someone a little smaller, though I have fitted a longer seatpost so that I could ride it – the original one was ridiculously short). If I had lots of space, I’d probably keep it just because it’s so lovely!

• 53cm frame – Reynolds 531 (but main tubes only)
    • 12 speed gears – Suntour derailleurs (VX rear, 7 front), with new handlebar-mounted friction thumbshifters
    • Sakae Super Custom chainset (52/42)
    • Weinmann 27 x 1 ¼ polished alloy rims on Malliard hubs
    • Weinmann centrepull brakes
    • New Schwalbe amberwall tyres
    • New cables

Bad bits:
    • Mudguards are a bit wonky and have a slight tendency to rub on tyre. Might be possible to replace the stays, though.
    • Gears probably need minor fettling as it’s been in the shed for a while.
    • Adjustable stem is ugly. Can provide the one it came with instead (which is steel, pretty high and very short).

£120 collected from York. Have plenty more pics I can upload if there is interest. (Advertised on another forum too.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice