Carlton Criterium details

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Just a few images I took a while ago of this 10-speed machine, built summer 1975. Has 22" frame and I like to use a Campag Gran Turismo rear mech on this one, its big, good looking and works well...

Bike is pretty much stock and original, save for tyres and the rear mech!

P4080056.jpg

crit5.jpg

P4080078.jpg

P4080075.jpg

P4080073.jpg

P4080062.jpg

P4080072.jpg

Enjoy.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Got around to taking some better pictures of this fine looking machine, today.

This model was near the top of the line in the mid-1970s. Although it lacks what some call 'top end' components I very much of the mind that the whole package hangs together very well to make a very elegant machine indeed. Yes a lot of the parts are pretty much standard Raleigh issue, but there is still that Carlton indiviuduality that shines through in the frame with its Crespera lugs and wrap over seat stays.

This bike hasn't been ridden for while as I need to get a broken spoke fixed on the rear wheel which is slightly out of true. Must do it as I want get back on the saddle of this one.

Ive kept this bike very much as it would have been in 1975, hence shorty mudgaurds and Pifco lamps. Overriding image of this bike is it has lots of chrome, save for the utterly gorgeous Campagnolo Gran Tourismo steel rear mech, the whole bike is standard. The double chainwheel steel affair is a 42/52 set up with a 24-tooth rear sprocket. Brakes are Weinmann 999s CP. Saddle is by Wrights. Wheels have their C nuts in tact and the chrome on the steels rims is unmarked. This is very much how I remember racers in the 1970s, this bike being made in August of the 1975 - the year I left primary school.

Frame size is 22" and the colour finish is a coffee polychomatic with contrasting panels - beautiful!

Enjoy.

P7300747.jpg

Standard graphics for the time
P7300750.jpg

Transmission is the standard Raleigh 3-pin detachable of the time....
P7300751.jpg

The overall set up is a very solid and dependable transmission
P7300758.jpg

A few views of the Gran Tourismo rear mechanism, this is just pure art. It works very well on this bike and dates from about 1970. Its a big and imposing affair!
P7300752.jpg

P7300755.jpg

P7300759.jpg

P7300761.jpg

Some other frame detailing...
P7300764.jpg

Huret double levers are mint.

Race proven...
P7300763.jpg

P7300768.jpg

P7300766.jpg

Tyres are quite thin for 27x1-1/4
P7300767.jpg

Philips stem
P7300762.jpg

P7300748.jpg

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
its a beautiful bike, and in better condition than my bikes that are less than a 1/4 of its age :becool:

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Just when you thought the Carltons were going away...

Ive managed to bag another of these fine machines, this example is totally original and save for some bar tape will stay like it.

These are the images supplied by the current owner.

CC1.jpg

CC2-1.jpg

Again this is a 1975 10-speed model. Nice thing is it has its original large flange QR hubs. I looking forward to picking this one up this weekend. Full pictures and details will follow for those that can stomach some more Carltons...
laugh.gif

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

After a 300 mile round trip Ive picked up my second Criterium from c1975. This machine is very original, right down to the original Raleigh racing tyres, although I think they may have to go. I haven't seen a pair of these since my olympus of 1976. Overall everything is fine, it just needs a damn good clean, polish, re-oil/greasing and a bit of TLC. Only things to be replaced are the bar tape (should be white), Some new toe clips and Im going to replace the lever hoods with some better Carlton embossed ones I have tucked away...

This is every inch a time machine cycle as its been left untouched save for a new rear mech cable and some bar tape. The original owner tells me he had this when he was 16 in 1975, saved up all hi pocket money on it. He is happy its going to a good home. Rest assured it will be ridden once its been through the works.

Apologies for the flash photography, Ive just taken these in as found condition. Ill start a new thread for the refurbishment.

Enjoy.

P8220107.jpg

P8220118.jpg

Graphics are very crisp. These waterslide type decals tended to scrape very easily.
P8220111.jpg

I really happy its got its original QR large flange hubs. Wheels are both true.
P8220109.jpg

P8220119.jpg

P8220120.jpg

P8220108.jpg

Curious R bolt on the handle bars, the mark of the real Carlton 'owners'.
P8220112.jpg

P8220121.jpg

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

You need a frame sticker for it that says: "My other bike's a Carlton Criterium" ;)

and a Corsa, and a Flyer, and a Constellation, and a Pro Am, and a Continental...
laugh.gif

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Since the weather has been so bad today and I was supposed to be camping, its allowed me to have a full day working on the new Criterium.

Ive repacked the BB and Head races as well as degreasing the frame and all the components. Fitted new bar tape, white cloth type. the original stuff would have been that dreadful textured plastic stuff that used to pervade machines in the 1970s... Ill have to keep my hands clean using this stuff!

The frame has also been shampooed and waxed. I need to sort some new seat tube graphics, but apart from that Im keep the frame as is, marks and all!

Brake have been degresed and polished before reassembly. Ive also fitted better hooded Carlton levers. Brakes by the way were date stamped 1975.

Ill make a start on the wheels and hubs tomorrow, the Maillard large flange hubs will take a bit of cleaning as will the spokes and rims. Cleaned and regreased the QR skewers.

P8250138.jpg

P8250143.jpg

The chainwheel is a 42/52 tooth affair.
P8250131.jpg

The original quill pedals will be fitted with new toeclips and straps
P8250136.jpg

Ive cleaned and fitted the Huret Svelto rear mech, the red jockey wheeled versions always look a little more attractive I think and add a nice visual appeal.
P8250134.jpg

The Weinmann Vanquer 999 brakes are effective stoppers once adjusted and set up correctly.
P8250137.jpg

Carlton hoods...
P8250142.jpg

New Tressorex white cloth bar tape...
P8250132.jpg

P8250130.jpg

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Today I have been mostly involved in cleaning, scrubbing or collecting wheels from my local cycle shop. Apologies in advance for the number of wheels pics which follow.

Picked up a partially respoked and trued wheel for my other Criterium today, so I can get that one back on the road.

Spent much of today cleaning, degreasing and polishing the wheels for my second Criterium. This one has the original hubs but the rim metal is much poorer condition than my other one...

Anyway these are just about done now.

The old Maillard hubs have come up well...
P8270157.jpg

Ive cleaned the QR mechs as well...
P8270156.jpg

The old Maillard 5-speed free wheel has been cleaned and re-oiled.
P8270155.jpg

P8270153.jpg

P8270151.jpg

P8270149.jpg

Enough! :laugh:

Compare with these:
P8220121.jpg

P8220120.jpg

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Ive now added the World Tours...

Still things to do like sort some new seat tube graphics and sort the saddle, but the Criterium is starting to look the 1970s classic it was now.

fresh out of the workshop.
P8280158.jpg

P8280160.jpg

P8280162.jpg

To me this is just how I remember them as a 13 year old lusting after this lovely bike.
P8280171.jpg

P8280163.jpg

Top Bottom