Carlton "flamboyant" paint (1962 Clubman) - how to treat it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I have come into possession of a 1962 Carlton Clubman - date estimated based on K series frame number and period-appropriate 32/40 Resilion hubs. The non-rusty parts of the paint are a quite distinctive sort of green/gold blend, which I guess by Googling is "flamboyant bronze green". I don't think the rust isn't widespread enough to repaint the whole thing for aesthetic reasons but I'd like to stop the rust spreading. No idea if the finish can be colour matched for touching it up, so ... clear lacquer?

I'll add some photos once I've got them off my phone

classic33

Leg End Member
Precision Paints can match any colour, if you send them a sample to work from.

OP
OP
D

Dan B

Disengaged member
03391663957f60b7f62dc99200c880e784c84cde64d649b68d.png
3bdf901822aeef1c1cea3ee5562b1c4f93daaec29daeb7775f.png

Phone camera is a bit rubbish and won't focus on anything more than a metre away, sorry for the blur in the top picture

It's the oldest bike I've owned by some twenty years. I'd like to restore it to something approximately correct for the period even if not exact - although I may be making a substantial concession to modernity in the form of aluminium rims. When did they start being a thing?

Progress so far is "not very far". Got the seat post out with a bit of wrestling, but cotter pins are both extremely stuck :-(

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Id clean it as best you can, wash, very light application of T-cut, then wax and then I use a detailing finishing wax. Some of the surfce rust will come out, but this finish shows blemishes easily. It still looks terrific even with some 'battle scars' live with them and enjoy them. Colour matching this will be a pain it will show where its been re-touched. Best leave it. Its original once.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nice one. Try to save those cotter pins as I believe the ones available now are rubbish. Videos on YouTube should help with removal.
Alloy rims were available then.

Top Bottom