Carlton frame identification

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jboy964

Regular
Some help needed please in identifying the model of this 1963 Carlton frame.
Capella lugs and other nice details, is it a Catalina?

Attachments

• IMG_3017.jpeg
    IMG_3017.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3018.jpeg
    IMG_3018.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3019.jpeg
    IMG_3019.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3023.jpeg
    IMG_3023.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3027.jpeg
    IMG_3027.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3024.jpeg
    IMG_3024.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 28

V-CC

This extract from the 1963 Carlton catalogue suggests that it is a Clubman.
Carlton catalogue 1963 finishes.png

OP
OP
J

jboy964

Regular
Thanks I first thought a Clubman, it has been painted with a rattle can, not original finish. Seat stay tops wrong for a Clubman?

OP
OP
J

jboy964

Regular
I originally thought it a Clubman, no evidence of chrome anywhere. I will restore it as a Clubman, in as near to flam red with white detail as I can. Thanks for your help

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Not an expert on this, but I seem to remember that the early 60s Catalina came with a rod front gear changer as standard. As a result, that model would not have had a brazing on the left-hand lower down tube to take a cable operated front changer as this frame has. Chrome was always a feature of Carltons but could be scraped or emeried off before repainting. Worth doing a search for the historic catalogues. There's at least one here.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Not an expert on this, but I seem to remember that the early 60s Catalina came with a rod front gear changer as standard. As a result, that model would not have had a brazing on the left-hand lower down tube to take a cable operated front changer as this frame has. Chrome was always a feature of Carltons but could be scraped or emeried off before repainting. Worth doing a search for the historic catalogues. There's at least one here.

A lot of Carltons did not have the extra brazing. Rod operated front changers like Cyclo Benelux has all but disappeared by this date

Top Bottom