Carlton Gran Tour - SOLD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Carlton Gran Tour carlton 'after'.jpg
I really don't use this enough to warrant keeping it, so N-1 for me and hopefully N+1 for someone else!
Full 531 DB 22" frame, 27" wheels with new tyres, SunTour front mech and Huret Duopar Eco with SunTour Poweratchet downtube levers, Weinmann centrepulls, quill pedals and a period Turbo tan saddle (not in the photo) with all the soft yielding qualities of a brick.
Gearing is 13-30 6 speed block, with a 50/30 (!!) chainset.
And you thought compacts had a big old jump between the rings...
Photo was taken just after I'd got it rideable again.
I'd sooner not get involved with carriers, so pick up in Stevenage.
I can deliver for train fare or diesel money within a reasonable radius.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
what with 531 frame and forks this has to be a bargain and looks in good nick as well plus its a Carlton that are always in favour

lawbow

OK great, I'm still having a little look around. I only have space for one bike (might put a piece of junk I have under a tarpaulin in the garden as an emergency replacement) so I want to choose widely but this is a beautiful bike and probably top of the list currently.

Only having space for one also means I'm looking for something reasonably reliable as vintage bikes go. Is the frame in as good condition as it looks in this picture? Also, how good is the condition of the other components? Having looked up that rear derailleur it sounds like an interesting bit of machinery and absolutely top of the range in its day but apparently not the sturdiest.

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The frame is absolutely as pictured, There's the odd scratch here and there, but I'd describe it as in stunning nick for a 30-odd year old bike. The brakes are...well, as good as Weinmann centerpulls will ever be. If I was riding it in London, I personally would put a dual-pivot on the front.
Chainset, chain and block all have lots of life left as far as I can tell. Tyres, tubes, Swisstop brake pads and all cables were new a year ago, and it's done maybe 20 miles since. The rear mech worked well last time I rode it, but any MTB rear mech would work perfectly as a replacement if needed.
Come on up one evening and we can go for a ride.

lawbow

I think I might have to take you up on that offer!

Top Bottom