Carlton International

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Warny

Über Member
Hi everyone,

Managed to pick up a Carlton locally this morning! I had a Grand Prix a while back but this seems much nicer, needs a really good clean though.

Carlton International I guess from 60's or 70's, any help with that much appreciated (frame number is 240591). The bike probably hasn't been ridden in over fifteen years but amazingly the old tyres stay pumped up. Tru Well frame, Huret gear shifters and front derailleur, Simplex at the back. Milremo stem and toe clips, Weinmann brakes, Rigida superchrome wheels. Has the wrapover seat stays and an old-school rear rack, 524477

with I think a Carridice bag (lettering has come off). Saddle is Brooks but not a leather one, I don't think the mudguards are original.

Will try and post a few more pics when it's looking a bit better!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very nice. @Spokesmann is the guy to give you the definitive run down on the model.

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Thanks all, she's looking a bit better now after a couple of hours cleaning etc. Will go for a gentle ride round in a bit. Good spot on the wingnut, I hadn't noticed that! Normandy hubs under the grime, which look ok.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
As discussed on the FB Carlton group, the International here was made only for the 1971 model year. Blue is less common than the white. Spec is pretty much middle of the model group. It varied very slightly - rear mech, front chain wheel and stem etc... Always thought the white version as one of their most iconic colour ways and frame paint jobs. Well worth preserving...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Many thanks, I don't think it's too bad for a bike that's nearly 50 years old. Can't see too well from these pics but it's looking and performing much better now:smile: New cotter pin sorted, just some replacement tyres and cloth bar tape when I get around to it. View attachment 525135

View attachment 525139

View attachment 525140
Did you install the Cotter pin correctly though, a lot of people think you tighten up the nut to install them when they should really be fitted with a hammer with the nut ensuring they don't come loose in service.

Top Bottom