Carlton project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Stripped down the bottom bracket yesterday, this bike doesn't look like it has received any maintenance since leaving the factory. The race area on the crank spindle is too damaged to re-use but there is a secondhand replacement on the way.

Also, more disappointment, another dent was spotted on the top tube so I'm having a rethink on the restoration of this. I'm wondering if it would be best to spend as little on this as possible and just get it roadworthy to use as a daily hack and wait for a better condition Corsa to come up.
yes I would get it mobile and roadworthy and use a daily hack , and await a cleaner one to come up like they do
There is rivet on the stem and a hole where it looks like a rivet was (pic.) Does that mean something to you?

yes it does but cant remember what I want to tell you , so let me search my memory banks and come back to you

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
yes I would get it mobile and roadworthy and use a daily hack , and await a cleaner one to come up like they do

yes it does but cant remember what I want to tell you , so let me search my memory banks and come back to you

memory bank searhed and " il primo" is what i wanted to say do a quick google and see what comes up looks very similar to your stem

midlife

Guru
Early Cinelli's had a badge on the top .............

cinelli-badge3.jpg

OP
OP
IanCarlton

IanCarlton

Regular
I see what you mean, although the one here might be described by some dealers as having 'vintage patination'.

Still awaiting parts so brake cleaning in progress.

OP
OP
IanCarlton

IanCarlton

Regular
Nice looking project, at least the brake levers are in the original position, you need a good 4 finger grip on those with steel rims. :eek:

Thanks. I used to be able to pull stoppies quite easily in the dry with the Weinmann centre-pulls on my original bike but I may have put on a couple of pounds since then. ;)

OP
OP
IanCarlton

IanCarlton

Regular
Still waiting for the spindle. The front wheel had some missing spokes so took one round the local bike shops - much inhaling, tooth sucking etc. 'it's big', 'is it a 27" wheel?' etc. Anyway, ended up getting another wheel off ebay.

IMG_7456r.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks. I used to be able to pull stoppies quite easily in the dry with the Weinmann centre-pulls on my original bike but I may have put on a couple of pounds since then. ;)
Ditto, but my Clubman was fitted with the Weinmann Dynamic twin pivot sidepulls (just like modern bikes) making dating easier as they only fitted them for a short while. I say was cos I snapped an arm off the front caliper and had to swap to a centre pull ("you'll never get one of them mate" at Sid Mottrams) when I had an 'off' that also snapped the dropout off the forks (luckily they had some chrome plated 531 replacements which still had the braze on lamp fitting)

OP
OP
IanCarlton

IanCarlton

Regular
Over the weekend, still waiting for the spindle.

Stripped and greased wheel bearings on replacement front wheel. Changed seat post and Dubbined saddle. Stripped and greased rear wheel and block:: IMG_7472r.jpg

OP
OP
IanCarlton

IanCarlton

Regular
It appears that this bike is a bit of a Heinz 57 component wise - can anyone identify:

The cranks are marked __MEGA or __MEGH

The old front hub is __UZE Forged

The rear hub is WECO or WECD Made in Germany.

Thanks for any info.

midlife

Guru
Front hub is possibly SUZUE but doesn't quite match. The cranks are likely OFMEGA....................both of which are nice :smile:

7A6D3BE5-B667-4999-BE58-0AF31966B55B.jpe

F67564AD-2AAA-441C-AA05-4DFFCE6F8141.jpe

Shaun

Top Bottom