Carlton question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Hello one and all, a quick question about my progress cleaning up my Franco Italia Carlton. Some of the paint has chipped off the tubes near to the lugs revealing the fact that the tubes appear to be chromed as well as the lugs. I haven't chipped of the paint deliberately and l don't intend to strip the frame but l was wondering if anyone knows if it is "normal" for these bikes to have chrome frames ? The photo isn't great but it gives an idea of what l mean.
2017-01-24 13.37.21.jpg

Reactions: mjr

midlife

Guru
The front end was dipped / chromed and then painted over so that just the lugs appeared in chrome.....

Shaun

Reactions: mjr

scarygerbil

I am stripping a carlton frame as we speak as the shot blasters couldn't guarantee that the chrome would stay intact and found out the chrome dip was about two inches from the head tube. also the paint does seem to chip far easier on the chromed parts

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
It could be all chrome though, I have come across all chrome Carlton Flyer's that had been painted for some unknown reason.......

Shaun
I knew it was too easy....maybe l will take a bit of paint off somewhere not too obvious and see if there is chrome underneath.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I am stripping a carlton frame as we speak as the shot blasters couldn't guarantee that the chrome would stay intact and found out the chrome dip was about two inches from the head tube. also the paint does seem to chip far easier on the chromed parts
Yes l suppose its not so easy to get a good key for the paint on shiny chrome!

Top Bottom