Carlton restoration project???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

njj73

IMG_3377.JPG
IMG_3370.JPG
IMG_3376.JPG
IMG_3391.JPG
IMG_3372.JPG
IMG_3393.JPG
IMG_3368.JPG
IMG_3367.JPG
Hi everyone. Hoping that some of you guys can help me with this, I discovered this bike which had been lent next to a barn for three years and I have no idea of the date, I'd really like to restore it and at the moment I am slowly derusting The components. Does anyone have any ideas on what kind of date it was made as I have looked at photos online and seem to be torn between 1960 and 1980. I would also like to call on you for advice as I have never restored a bike before.

midlife

Guru
The number on the dropout has no letter before it so that ususlly means 1968-73. In 1973 the Raleigh bean counters started a new numbering system.

It's been dressed up as a Carlton 10 but I'm sure it's not. First thing to work out is if the seat post moves......Unless the seat is bang on the height for you.

Spokesmann will be along in a minute :smile:

Shaun

Last edited:
OP
OP
njj73

njj73

The number on the dropout has no letter before it so that ususlly means 1968-73. In 1973 the Raleigh bean counters started a new numbering system.

It's been dressed up as a Carlton 10 but I'm sure it's not. First thing to work out is if the seat post moves......Unless the seat is bang on the height for you.

Spokesmann will be along in a minute :smile:

Shaun
Thanks Shaun
I will have a go on the seat post tomorrow

midlife

Guru
I wonder if it's one of these underneath?

Carltoncontinentalscan.jpg

$_86.JPG

Early continental before the chrome on the forks arrived

Shaun

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Uncanny similarity that lgfss bike lol. ..All Carlton Tens I have ever seen have looked like this

image-jpg.78522.jpg

10cobra-1.jpg

Shaun

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
My, needs some love that one. It is a genuine 10, an earlier version, say around 69/70. I know of a few who have one in this graphic/colour scheme. The basics are OK by the looks of it ie frame/forks/bars etc... wheels and saddle look destined for the skip though...

OP
OP
njj73

njj73

My, needs some love that one. It is a genuine 10, an earlier version, say around 69/70. I know of a few who have one in this graphic/colour scheme. The basics are OK by the looks of it ie frame/forks/bars etc... wheels and saddle look destined for the skip though...
Wow, really chuffed at that, will I be able to source a saddle and mud guards easily enough? I'd like to keep it as original as possible.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Wow, really chuffed at that, will I be able to source a saddle and mud guards easily enough? I'd like to keep it as original as possible.
The standard saddle is probably a B5n or a B17/ B17n the latter 2 are still in production as are SKS Blumells muduards, the more difficult thing will be getting the wheels replaced.

OP
OP
njj73

njj73

The standard saddle is probably a B5n or a B17/ B17n the latter 2 are still in production as are SKS Blumells muduards, the more difficult thing will be getting the wheels replaced.
Are there certain sites I should look out for the spares?

Top Bottom