Carlton restoration project???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Are there certain sites I should look out for the spares?
Dunno, I'm more of a fit new kind of a guy as opposed to someone like @Spokesmann who keeps things pretty 'period correct'.

002.JPG

Pretty much everything on my Raleigh Equipe was new apart from the frame and the hubs (and the 50yr old 'wingnuts' on the front are NOS :becool:)

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Ebay, Hilary Stone, SJS Cycles, FB Groups ie the Carlton Bikes of Worksop group can help loads...

Those wheel rims may clean up with some rust removing gel. I tried it on some rims that I thought had had it but after a good soaking the rust came off leaving chrome underneath, a little bit pitted in places but cheaper than new wheels. It would also work on the other chrome parts.

OP
OP
njj73

njj73

Those wheel rims may clean up with some rust removing gel. I tried it on some rims that I thought had had it but after a good soaking the rust came off leaving chrome underneath, a little bit pitted in places but cheaper than new wheels. It would also work on the other chrome parts.
I thought I would have a go, already soaked the chain and now trying it on the crank and pedals.
Hey this is a marathon, not a sprint project

Here are two wheels that I treated with the rust removing gel. The wheel on the left has already been cleaned but was in a similar state to the one on the right. The wheel on the right was in the process of being cleaned but did eventually end up looking similar to the other one.
Cycle refurb 001.JPG

Attachments

• Cycle refurb 002.JPG
    Cycle refurb 002.JPG
    273.1 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
njj73

njj73

Here are two wheels that I treated with the rust removing gel. The wheel on the left has already been cleaned but was in a similar state to the one on the right. The wheel on the right was in the process of being cleaned but did eventually end up looking similar to the other one. View attachment 154841
Did you have to use the gel a few times or is it quite a quick process? And then can you lacquer them after to stop rust coming back through?

OP
OP
njj73

njj73

Did you have to use the gel a few times or is it quite a quick process? And then can you lacquer them after to stop rust coming back through?
Sorry, just looked up the polish you recommended and it does protect

The gel I used was Hamerite and I usually put it on with an old tooth brush, working at it and leaving it for a few hours. Those two wheels I applied the gel and completely forgot about them for a month, by which time a brown scale had formed which scraped off using my thumbnail to reveal the chrome underneath. For really deep pitted rust you may have to apply it several times and scrape at it.

OP
OP
njj73

njj73

The gel I used was Hamerite and I usually put it on with an old tooth brush, working at it and leaving it for a few hours. Those two wheels I applied the gel and completely forgot about them for a month, by which time a brown scale had formed which scraped off using my thumbnail to reveal the chrome underneath. For really deep pitted rust you may have to apply it several times and scrape at it.
Thanks

Top Bottom