Carlton Super Course

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I appear to have been gifted a Carlton Super Course by my brother, who in turn had been given it by a mate. The original wheels are missing but I have been given some with the bike which are Mavic MA40 rims on Campag hubs with a Shimano 600, 6 speed freewheel which looks to be about an 11 to 16 :eek: (no severe hills with that). They do need skewers and I will try to work out the width required. It has Weinman brakes and Suntour mechs and a Raleigh badged crank with drilled rings. unfortunately the non drive side arm is a mismatch. It has quite nice lugs for a bike from the eighties, certainly nicer than the ones on my dad's Corsair. The paint isn't too bad and a light Tcut and polish should clear any minor surface rust off.

The reason it has been passed to me is it would appear the frame is mahoosive. I don't think there will be much seatpost showing and I am over 6'3".

I am guessing it is early 80's judging by the brake levers and general look. Should be a good project.

Sorry for the poor quality photos it was going dark.
carltonframe.jpg
carltonseattube.jpg

wisdom

Guru
Nice one.
Should make a nice project. Dont forget to post piccys as you go along.

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Had a day off with the kids today so as you do :whistle:

Starting to look a little more like a bike rather than parts. :smile:
Stage 1.jpg

New (to the bike and mostly from the parts bin) rim tape, tyres,brake blocks, pedals, bottle cage and an initial clean and lubrication. Still to fit before an initial ride to test the geometry etc are chain and front mech cable.
To finish new bar tape, cleats, hoods and brake cables.

The frame measures in at a whopping 63/64 cm:eek: and is only just within my comfort zone. The top tube is pretty short at 56 cm though. Mind you much longer and reaching the drops would require rather long arms.

I think I am going to stick with the black saddle and go with black bar tape. I know lots of people will think tan would look better on the saddle and tape and it should have tan walls to the tyres but I kind of like the look.

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

From the frame number I can tell it was made in June 1980 at the Worksop factory. Kind of cool to see a bit of it's history as well as the original dealers mark from a shop in Northampton.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
TI Reynolds started appearing on the decals in the early to mid seventies so would be correct.

Sterba

Über Member
Rear dropouts will prob be 126mm if it is a 6 speed. You can squeeze a 7 speed freewheel on without adjusting the frame, although the wheel will need an extra 2mm spacer on the axle, on the side of the freewheel and it would then be best to re-dish the wheel to keep it on the centre-line. I ride 7 speed bikes with freewheels from 14 to 32 in even steps, if you want something that you can ride up steep hills with. If you want to fit modern 10 speed stuff, better get the frame (ends) widened at a shop, needs doing on a jig to avoid distorting it. If existing 6 speed seems difficult to remove it is because it is the type where the last (smallest) cog tightens up against the next one, so you need to take it off anticlockwise while you hold the other one still, two chainwhips working in opposite directions.

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Carltoncomp.jpg
:becool: Well nearly there, the rest will be a rolling overhaul. Mostly paintwork and some stripping and regreasing of items like the headset that work smoothly but to be on the safe side should be done. Sorry about the poor quality photo I will get a better one when it is light.

Top Bottom