Carlton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

K1mnatamy

Regular
Hin all new on here today .I have aquired what i believe is a Carlton cycle ,to which model im unsure ,hence. There is a number beneath the bb,22" frame,campag componenets. If anybody could hel
carlton11.jpg
carlton10.jpg
carlton8.jpg
carlton7.jpg
carlton6.jpg
carlton 5.jpg
carlton 4.jpg
carlton.jpg
p identify as i would like to restore to original condition,i dont believe the colour to be original.Here are a few photos to help.The number reads G281 733

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Decent looking bike. I'd date it early 1970's going by the Campag brakes which appeared about '69/70, and the cable clips on the top tube.

midlife

Guru
Stunning :smile:. Shot in stays, chrome, chromed top to the fully sloping forks points to a late 60's very early 70's professional. Was usually in the Classic Carlton blue and white. Iirc the Giro D'Italia had less chrome but looked similar. The frame numbering out that time is a bit pants, the G is near to my F numbered Carlton which I think is 1972.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

K1mnatamy

Regular
Stunning :smile:. Shot in stays, chrome, chromed top to the fully sloping forks points to a late 60's very early 70's professional. Was usually in the Classic Carlton blue and white. Iirc the Giro D'Italia had less chrome but looked similar. The frame numbering out that time is a bit pants, the G is near to my F numbered Carlton which I think is 1972.
Good morning thx Which model had the chrome butts at thx headstock?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hin all new on here today .I have aquired what i believe is a Carlton cycle ,to which model im unsure ,hence. There is a number beneath the bb,22" frame,campag componenets. If anybody could hel View attachment 609115 View attachment 609116 View attachment 609117 View attachment 609118 View attachment 609119 View attachment 609120 View attachment 609121 View attachment 609123 p identify as i would like to restore to original condition,i dont believe the colour to be original.Here are a few photos to help.The number reads G281 733
Lovely large flanged hubs and shot in stays.
Looks like a smashing bike there.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
I seem to remember the Contre La Montre model of the very early 70s had the similar look too. Number in the BB shell with a letter prefix would indicate early 70s. A Giro would seem to be the model, the Criterium of the same period had the seat stay treatment too.

OP
OP
K

K1mnatamy

Regular
I seem to remember the Contre La Montre model of the very early 70s had the similar look too. Number in the BB shell with a letter prefix would indicate early 70s. A Giro would seem to be the model, the Criterium of the same period had the seat stay treatment too.
Thankyou for your response , What we’re the colours for the Giro?

bagpuss

Guru
Here is another Giro d' ilalia .
Frame prior to rebuilding.
17343192406_f6ea2adb7a_3k.jpg Carlton . Giro d'italia by rebalrid, on Flickr
Often sold as a frame set only .You could pick any colour you want from th Carlton range .Panelling and lug lining as required . Chrome work was at extra cost .
From the 1969/1970 catlouge . Different fork crown .
51492793394_3aae398402_c.jpg Scan0011 by rebalrid, on Flickr

51491316792_a0ba857674_c.jpg Scan0005 by rebalrid, on Flickr

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

K1mnatamy

Regular
Good afternoon after initially not knowing model of the Carlton the frame went off to Dave Marsh /Catherine Neary for refurb ,have been informed it was a Mk 4 professional .Have had it refurbed in the lagoon blue colour which looks brilliant & iconic colour .Bike is now rebuilt with all the original components that the bike came with other than a Brookes professional seat purchased at Dave,s on collection ,only the fine tinkering to do.

Top Bottom