Carnon Downs/Truro Route Suggestions Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
Hi

I'm planning to take my bike on holiday this year to keep up some fitness, staying at Carnon Downs Camp Site so looking for route suggestions around that area preferably avoiding the busy roads. Ideally looking for a circular route of approx 20ish miles, uphills, downhills, flat, etc. that I can do daily and still get some touristy things in as well. Obviously I can just go out and explore but I'm liable to get lost! And a wee bit of local knowledge never goes amis.

Many thanks for any suggestions. Regards, Mark

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Avoid the A39 between Truro and Falmouth if you can. Traffic goes quite fast and it wiggles quite a bit with tall hedgerows on each side.. The area to the east of the A39, between Devoran and Calenick and the River Fal has a lot of really pretty lanes to explore. Don't forget to visit the 17th Century Friends Meeting House at Come to Good. A really great little thatched building. Crossing the Fal on the King Harry ferry is fun and from the other side you can explore the Roseland peninsular.
Very near your campsite is a bike trail that goes from Devoran to Portreath. Here's a link..
http://www.cycleroutesuk.com/cycle-...-to-devoran-to-the-mineral-tramway-trail.html
Have fun.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Avoid the A39 between Truro and Falmouth if you can. Traffic goes quite fast and it wiggles quite a bit with tall hedgerows on each side.. The area to the east of the A39, between Devoran and Calenick and the River Fal has a lot of really pretty lanes to explore. Don't forget to visit the 17th Century Friends Meeting House at Come to Good. A really great little thatched building. Crossing the Fal on the King Harry ferry is fun and from the other side you can explore the Roseland peninsular.
Very near your campsite is a bike trail that goes from Devoran to Portreath. Here's a link..
http://www.cycleroutesuk.com/cycle-...-to-devoran-to-the-mineral-tramway-trail.html
Have fun.

Thanks for the advice about the A39, been to Cornwall before so know how busy the roads can be! Will have a look at the trail, on a road bike so might not be suitable but will give it a look. Cheers, Mark

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Have fun.

States "mixed surfaces" any idea how mixed I.e. suitable for road bike or not?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
States "mixed surfaces" any idea how mixed I.e. suitable for road bike or not?
I've never ridden it. My BIL has but it's too late to ring him to ask which bike he used. I'll find out tomorrow and let you know.
BTW, it's a great part of the world. I've been to Restronguet Creek ( a few miles from Carnon Downs ) every year since the age of six......ahem....a few years ago.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've been told that the old Tramway to Portreath is OK on a road bike but that there are a couple of 50 yard stretches that are a bit lumpy where you might want to hop off and walk.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
I've been told that the old Tramway to Portreath is OK on a road bike but that there are a couple of 50 yard stretches that are a bit lumpy where you might want to hop off and walk.

Nice one, cheers for the info - will be a good one for dog walking as well.

Top Bottom