Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - any post-op' experiences to share?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I have CTS in both hands/wrists and it is moderately painful and is constant.

Injections are of limited use - they work for a while.

My GP is telling me that they are not recommending surgery as an effective option these days which seems odd as, in the distant past, I have come across other sufferers that say it has worked for them.

So... does anyone have any post-op CTS experiences they would be happy to share on here as I'm really not understanding where my GP is coming from on this?

midlife

Guru
I might be a bit outdated but i thought surgery for carpal tunnel is very effective. Here in Carlisle I'm sure the surgery is done by very experienced nurse practitioners who do it day in and day out.......

vickster

Legendary Member
A former member had it done if I recall. Try the search function

Clearly you want an expert hand surgeon doing it as (in the words of my shoulder surgeon) there are lots of complicated stringy bits in there (a reason he didn’t operate on hands as well as elbows and surgeons)

Drago

Legendary Member
I suffer with cubital tunnel syndrome as a result of breaking my elbow. The causes are the same, albeit in the elbow instead of the wrist, and the effects are similar. 2 operations on I'm improved, but not perfect. My little finger and the outside half of my ring finger feel numb and remote, and it feels constantly like someone is jabbing fingers into my funny bone. Just to really rain on my parade, I now suffer compensatory problems in my right shoulder from 11 years of not using my right hand quite right. This has raised I inflammation at the top of the bicep tendon, which means my thumb from the top knuckle downwards is also numb. Combined result is a loss of dexterity and grip on that side. I've had 2 ops on the elbow and one on the shoulder, and have been recommended one further op on each, but I don't think I'm going to do so.

Good news for you is that, hopefully, yours isnt cause by injury, but just wear and tear and nature. If this is the case the operation has a good success rate and you've every chance of things returning to normal.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

A former member had it done if I recall. Try the search function

Clearly you want an expert hand surgeon doing it as (in the words of my shoulder surgeon) there are lots of complicated stringy bits in there (a reason he didn’t operate on hands as well as elbows and surgeons)

@alicat had surgery by all accounts.

Not much in the search function tbh.

My concern is that 2 years ago my GP was talking about surgery and now seems to have changed her mind - I probably need to ask her what evidence she is basing this on.

She even said that I could have my right hand ring finger treated for its Finger Trigger (my dog tripped me up going down a steep hill and my finger got bent back a long way causing tendon sheath damage) at the same time.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

I suffer with cubital tunnel syndrome as a result of breaking my elbow. The causes are the same, albeit in the elbow instead of the wrist, and the effects are similar. 2 operations on I'm improved, but not perfect. My little finger and the outside half of my ring finger feel numb and remote, and it feels constantly like someone is jabbing fingers into my funny bone. Just to really rain on my parade, I now suffer compensatory problems in my right shoulder from 11 years of not using my right hand quite right. This has raised I inflammation at the top of the bicep tendon, which means my thumb from the top knuckle downwards is also numb. Combined result is a loss of dexterity and grip on that side. I've had 2 ops on the elbow and one on the shoulder, and have been recommended one further op on each, but I don't think I'm going to do so.

Good news for you is that, hopefully, yours isnt cause by injury, but just wear and tear and nature. If this is the case the operation has a good success rate and you've every chance of things returning to normal.

I used to think it was due to an accident that I sustained on Ben Nevis years ago (dislocated right shoulder) as I have had a number of issues with that arm since then.

The fact that it has appeared in my left arm (worse than the right arm according to my nerve conduction results) makes me think it is wear and tear.

alicat

Legendary Member
I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands about 10 years ago (each hand a year apart).

Straight after it didn't seem worthwhile because it took a while to get over the pain/anaesthetic etc. It seemed like overkill given the extent of the CTS. However, it fixed the problem immediately and I would recommend anyone to have it done.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Nowadays everything is decided on statistical outcomes. "85 percent heal themselves without the need for surgery so we'll wait and see".

Yebbut what if you're one of the other 15 percent?

Oldbloke

Guru
Had my left wrist done last year and was back on the bike in a couple of weeks. Just a 1cm scar & no more buzzing arm/wrist or "pins & needles" in my hand.

Would recommend without hesitation.

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
@SpokeyDokey
I had my surgery a few years ago. I went straight for the operation. I was offered the injection but as it doesn’t last I asked straight out to have the op.
I’ve had no issues with it since only slight weakness in the wrist - I may struggle to open jars but that could be just wear and tear of butchering and knife work through my adult life.
Push for the operation is my advice to you. Full recovery time to heal is not quick but you’ll be glad you had it done
Ask away if there’s anything in particular you would like to know

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

@SpokeyDokey
I had my surgery a few years ago. I went straight for the operation. I was offered the injection but as it doesn’t last I asked straight out to have the op.
I’ve had no issues with it since only slight weakness in the wrist - I may struggle to open jars but that could be just wear and tear of butchering and knife work through my adult life.
Push for the operation is my advice to you. Full recovery time to heal is not quick but you’ll be glad you had it done
Ask away if there’s anything in particular you would like to know

Many thanks for that post.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
One of my assistants has it, but is trying to avoid the surgery route.

She seems to have found a lot of relief through wearing wrist splints at night.

PK99

Legendary Member
I had mine done in 2001 - 6 week recovery time, no problem being off the bike as it was the height of the foot and mouth outbreak.

Lots of problems beforehand, none since and no noticeable scar.

As it is an inflammation problem, the conservative treatment of steroid injection and diclofenac anti-inflammatory is worth trying first, for some it allows the inflammation to settle and solves the problem. For me it didn't and I went on for the op. Waiting times were ludicrous at the time, plus the NHS rheumatics doc would not refer me to an orthropod as that started the clock ticking, so I paid privately. Anyone choosing that route, I would recommend Spire Health Care they offer very keen fixed price deals which include as much physio and medical follow up as needed - and you get to choose your surgeon.

Top Bottom