Carpel Tunnel Syndrome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vinnie10

I developed this in both wrists from riding 100+ kms a week on my Canondale Quick flat bar road bike. Love the bike but it seems it is not the right bike for me. Any tips on managing this ? Eg. Changing handlebars, etc?

Laurentius

I picked up on this post because of the header, Carpal Tunnel. I had an operation on my left wrist with limited success and my right wrist tends to flare up from time to time. All of this before I took up cycling recently so I am interested to read of any response to this thread.

OP
OP
V

vinnie10

T
I picked up on this post because of the header, Carpal Tunnel. I had an operation on my left wrist with limited success and my right wrist tends to flare up from time to time. All of this before I took up cycling recently so I am interested to read of any response to this thread.
i recently had my right wrist operated on and am not riding yet until it’s properly fixed. Healing well, no tingling. Getting other wrist done next year. Want to avoid it recurring.

vickster

Legendary Member
T

i recently had my right wrist operated on and am not riding yet until it’s properly fixed. Healing well, no tingling. Getting other wrist done next year. Want to avoid it recurring.
If this is only due to Cycling, you might want to look at your bike and fit, as you say. Bar ends, ergo grips, better gloves with gel padding, stem length, bar width etc. Maybe even look at changing for a drop bar roadbike

You should consider paying a Cycling focused Physio to do a thorough assessment of your bike and you on it

Discuss with your own Physio and surgeon too

pjd57

Veteran
I was getting some tingling and numbness if I was cycling for more than a couple of hours at a time.
Better gloves helped, then I changed from flatbars on a hybrid to drops on a CX and don't get it any more.

alicat

Legendary Member
I had both wrists operated on about 8 years ago. Not sure if it was caused by cycling (gripping the handlebars too hard) or not. Never looked back once the wounds healed.

PK99

Legendary Member
I developed this in both wrists from riding 100+ kms a week on my Canondale Quick flat bar road bike. Love the bike but it seems it is not the right bike for me. Any tips on managing this ? Eg. Changing handlebars, etc?

See here》https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/k...he-Experts--Hand-and-wrist-pain-on-the-bike-0

You need to identify the real problem carpal tunnel syndrome is often used as a catch all for numb fingers. True carpal tunnel syndrome is much more significant and disabling - from personal exerience.

Shaun

Founder
As per @vickster's suggestion - bar ends can help, especially if you're spending a fair amount of time in the saddle (you don't say how the 100+kms is split up?) as they give you an opportunity to move your hands/wrists into a different position every now and then to relieve the pressure / tingling.

Padded mitts can help too - my Specialized ones have gel pads in them around the wrist area that soften the contact with the grips / bars.

OP
OP
V

vinnie10

See here》https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/k...he-Experts--Hand-and-wrist-pain-on-the-bike-0

You need to identify the real problem carpal tunnel syndrome is often used as a catch all for numb fingers. True carpal tunnel syndrome is much more significant and disabling - from personal exerience.
Hi thanks - yes it’s the real deal, I have had nerve conductor tests and release op on right wrist .

OP
OP
V

vinnie10

As per @vickster's suggestion - bar ends can help, especially if you're spending a fair amount of time in the saddle (you don't say how the 100+kms is split up?) as they give you an opportunity to move your hands/wrists into a different position every now and then to relieve the pressure / tingling.

Padded mitts can help too - my Specialized ones have gel pads in them around the wrist area that soften the contact with the grips / bars.
Thanks, it’s spread over the week as a commute.

OP
OP
V

vinnie10

If this is only due to Cycling, you might want to look at your bike and fit, as you say. Bar ends, ergo grips, better gloves with gel padding, stem length, bar width etc. Maybe even look at changing for a drop bar roadbike

You should consider paying a Cycling focused Physio to do a thorough assessment of your bike and you on it

Discuss with your own Physio and surgeon too
Righto sounds like good advice, cheers.

PK99

Legendary Member
Hi thanks - yes it’s the real deal, I have had nerve conductor tests and release op on right wrist .

My sympathies then - it hurts like hell in the middle of the night! I used to have to hang my hand out of the bed.

I had it in the right hand, op in 2001 not a murmur of a problem since.

On flat barred mtb i use Ergon grips and move my hands around a lot

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

I think once you have got it there's not a lot you can do apart from steroid jabs or surgery.

I had EMG/Nerve Conduction tests just over a year ago for a v.serious disease (fortunately clear) and they picked up Carpal Tunnel on my right wrist that I knew about and had had a few steroid jabs for over the years. They also found it on the left wrist and said it was more serious than the right even though I had never noticed anything on that side!

Surgery was advised as the only real fix but it doesn't really cause me much hassle even when riding so I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Top Bottom